University Health Network (UHN) is looking for an experienced professional to fill the key role of Ward Clerk in our Inpatient Malignant Hematology Unit.
Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning.
The University Health Network, where “above all else the needs of patients come first”, encompasses Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, Toronto Rehabilitation Institute and the Michener Institute of Education at UHN. The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of groundbreaking firsts and a purpose of “Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning”, the University Health Network (UHN), Canada’s largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,200 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing the world.
The Princess Margaret Cancer Centre has 12 site groups and 26 specialty clinics, and almost 3,000 staff who see over 400,000 patient visits every year. Its 800,000 square feet house 130 inpatient beds, 373,000 square feet of research space and 17 radiation treatment machines, making it one of the largest comprehensive cancer treatment facilities in the world and the largest radiation treatment centre in Canada. Find out about our purpose, values and principles here.
In support of the efficient operation of the Inpatient Malignant Hematology Unit, the principal responsibilities of the Ward Clerk include: performing reception responsibilities; providing clerical support; organizing and maintaining patient charts, electronic and paper information filing systems; performing patient administration functions including scheduling and coordinating appointments/meetings/events, maintaining written and/or electronic calendar/schedules, etc.; coordinating unit administrative functions; ensuring the efficient operation of the unit, within the scope of authority; and performing other duties consistent with the job classification, as required.
- Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent
- Minimum one (1) year recent related clerical experience
- General knowledge of office practices, processes, and procedures
- Previous on-the-job computer word processing/spreadsheet experience
- Good data entry/keyboarding skills
- Excellent organizational, time management and prioritization skills
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Good problem solving skills
- Ability to produce high quality work in accordance with Hospital standards
- Ability to work effectively and safely when dealing with stressful situations
- Knowledge of Emergency Assistance Codes
- Completion of a recognized post- secondary secretarial arts program at the certificate level or equivalent preferred
- Experience working in a Microsoft Office software environment
- Experience working in a health care environment preferred
- Knowledge of Medical Terminology preferred
Closing Date: Until filled
If you are interested in this position, please apply on-line. You will be asked to copy and paste as well as attach your resume and covering letter. You will also be required to complete some initial screening questions.
UHN thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the Bona-fide for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.