University Health Network (UHN) is looking for an experienced professional to fill the key role of Ward Clerk in our Combined Surgical Unit.
Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning.
The University Health Network, where “above all else the needs of patients come first”, encompasses Toronto Western Hospital, Toronto General Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, Toronto Rehabilitation Institute and the Michener Institute of Education at UHN. The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of groundbreaking firsts and a purpose of “Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning”, the University Health Network (UHN), Canada’s largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,200 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing the world.
Toronto Western Hospital has been serving the health care needs of its culturally diverse local community for more than 100 years. Today, the hospital provides highly specialized tertiary care to people from surrounding areas and across Canada.
As a world leader in neural and sensory science, Toronto Western Hospital is constantly pushing the boundaries of research, offering pioneering treatments and using state-of-the-art technology. The hospital has a strong community and population health program, providing innovative programs for and information to seniors, diabetes patients, and many multicultural groups. Find out about our purpose, values and principles here.
In support of an assigned nursing or other clinical unit, the principal responsibilities of the WARD CLERK include: performing reception responsibilities; providing clerical support; organizing and maintaining patient charts, electronic and paper information filing system; performing patient administration functions including scheduling and coordinating appointments meetings/events, maintaining written and/or electronic calendar/schedules, etc.; coordinating unit administrative functions; ensuring the efficient operation of the unit, within scope of authority; performing other duties consistent with the job classification as required.
- Completion of Grade XII
- Completion of a recognized post-secondary office administration program at the certificate level or equivalent preferred
- One (1) year related clerical experience required
- Previous on-the-job word processing and spreadsheet experience required; experience working in an Microsoft Office software environment an asset
- Experience working in a health care environment an asset
- General knowledge of office practices, processes and procedures
- Knowledge of medical terminology an asset
- Knowledge of Emergency Assistance Codes
- Excellent organizational, time management and prioritization skills
- Very good interpersonal and customer service skills
- Good data entry/keyboarding skills
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Good problem solving skills
- Ability to produce high quality work in accordance with Hospital standards
- Ability to work effectively and safely when dealing with stressful situations
POSTED DATE: October 1, 2020 CLOSING DATE: Until filled
For current UHN employees, only those who have successfully completed their probationary period, have a good employee record along with satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN’s attendance management program, and possess all the required experience and qualifications should apply.
University Health Network thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the Bona-fide requirements for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.