Full Job Description
JOB POSTING #907497
University Health Network (UHN) is seeking Clinical Extern Mentors/Coordinators from within UHN as part of the Ministry of Health’s Enhanced Extern Program.
The Clinical Extern Mentor/Coordinator is an experienced UHN staff member who will work to support the planning, education and integration of the UHN Student Nursing Clinical Externs on the units across the hospitals of UHN. The student clinical externs work as part of a team in the capacity of an unregulated health care provider; they work in collaboration with a unit under direct and/or indirect supervision of a Registered Health Professional in the care environment.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Support integration of Externs at the organizational and unit level
- Contribute to Extern onboarding and support
- Create, adapt and deliver orientation and learning resources
- Aid in integration of team processes and role clarity
- Assist Externs to become familiar with the work in their units
- Support unit teams to collaborate with Externs to provide required patient care
- Maintain regular unit presence to support ongoing education needs and tracking of required skills attainment
- Provide ongoing monitoring and evaluation of Extern role/program
- Promote Extern staff wellness and team well-being
- Serve as a liaison and conduit between the unit leadership, Education, Practice, People and Culture
- Other duties as assigned to support the Externs and Extern program
- Must be a regulated healthcare professional in good standing with regulatory college in Ontario
- Experience working directly with patients on an inpatient unit at UHN
- Excellent collaborative skills as part of an inpatient team at UHN
- Experience supporting patients with care needs (for example: positioning, transfers, ambulation, toileting, meals, patient and family communication, etc.)
- Excellent mentorship/coaching skills
Vaccines (COVID-19 and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption on a medical ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code
Posted Date: October 3, 2022 Closing Date: Until Filled
Only hospital employees, who have successfully completed their probationary period, have maintained satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN’s attendance management program and possess all the required experience and qualifications will be given first consideration.
University Health Network thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. University Health Network has a diverse workforce and is an equal opportunity employer.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the Bona-fide for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.