Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning.
The University Health Network, where “above all else the needs of patients come first”, encompasses Toronto Western Hospital, Toronto General Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, Toronto Rehabilitation Institute and the Michener Institute of Education at UHN. The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of groundbreaking firsts and a purpose of “Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning”, the University Health Network (UHN), Canada’s largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,200 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing the world.
A world leader in neural and sensory science, Toronto Western Hospital has a strong community and population health program, providing innovative programs for and information to seniors, diabetes patients, and many multicultural groups. Toronto Western Hospital has been serving the health care needs of its culturally diverse local community for more than 100 years. Today, the hospital provides highly specialized tertiary care to people from surrounding areas and across Canada. Find out about our purpose, values and principles here.
As an integral member of Allied Health, the Speech-Language Pathologist (SLP) provides assessment and treatment for adult patients with communication and swallowing disorders. The successful candidate will work in a progressive multi-professional team, participate in rounds, meetings and quality initiatives and assist with coverage across other clinical service areas as necessary. The candidate will perform all other duties as required.
- Masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology or equivalent, required
- Registration with the College of Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists of Ontario (CASLPO), required
- Ontario Association of Speech-Language Pathologist and Audiologists (OSLA) membership preferred
- 2 years experience in an acute care hospital preferred
- Experience in the assessment and treatment of the general medicine and surgical population preferred
- Experience in professional education, presentation and in-services preferred
- Recognizes and acts within the scope of practice of a speech-language pathologist
- Understanding of health care teams and how the skills and competencies of all members contribute toward patient management
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Commitment to self-directed/life long learning and evidence based practice,
- Flexibility and ability to prioritize and to deal with changes in tasks with short notice
- Ability to function in an independent, self-directed manner and to exercise sound judgement
- Ability to function in a stressful environment while maintaining professional demeanor
- Compliance with legislation outlined in Regulation of Health Professions Act (1991)
- Compliance with departmental and hospital safety, emergency and infection control procedures
- Computer literacy preferred
- Experience in development, implementation and monitoring of quality indicators, preferred
POSTED DATE: September 17, 2020 CLOSING DATE: until filled
For current UHN employees, only those who have successfully completed their probationary period, have a good employee record along with satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN’s attendance management program, and possess all the required experience and qualifications should apply.
University Health Network thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the Bona-fide for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.