Looking for a career with a dynamic organization that is committed to protecting wildlife? We are interested in dedicated individuals who are positive, enthusiastic and passionate about wildlife conservation and protecting our planet.
Our Toronto Zoo is a mission-based, research, not-for-profit organization whose mission is connecting people, animals and conservation science to fight extinction.
Our Toronto Zoo serves more than 1.2 million guests each year on over 500 acres and the foundation of all of our work is based on four cares:
- We care about our animals
- We care about our team
- We care about our guests
- We care about our community
We strive to have this caring culture grounded in the principles of equity, diversity and inclusion. We commit to collaborating with our teams, guests and community to reflect and celebrate the rich diversity of Toronto and Canada.
As a world class accredited zoo and part of the global conservation community we work with the World Association of Zoos and Aquariums and the International Union for the Conservation of Nature and collaborate with governmental agencies, conservation and science non-governmental organizations and corporate and academic partners to share our knowledge and learn from each other to enhance our collective impact.
We are currently embarking on our new Master Plan and creation of a Community Conservation Campus. As one of the GTA’s Top Employers, we are seeking an experienced Senior Systems Administrator to join our Technology team.
If interested in this position, please submit your application by Tuesday, 2022-12-06.
Basic Function: Reporting to the Manager of Technology, the Senior Systems Administrator will provide hands-on support across the Zoo to ensure the network and servers are reliable, available, and secure. A self-motivated, reliable individual who works well in the team environment, is enthusiastic about technology, likes to solve problems, and has effective written and oral communications skills, is being sought. Toronto Zoo Technology team is passionate about the guest experience for visitors and staff we support.
- Accountable for the operational efficiency of the existing servers and network, and to restore services with minimal downtime during disruptions.
- Serve as a Senior System Administrator on the Microsoft Stack (Azure, Windows Server, O365/M365, Windows 10, 11, SharePoint).
- Serve as Senior System Administrator on the CISCO ecosystem (firewalls, networking, DNA, ISE).
- Manage, monitor, secure, and troubleshoot our SaaS platform through the Azure Web Services cloud environment.
- Serve as a core technical advisor in the assessment, planning and implementation of new endpoint management features and capabilities.
- Recommend, schedule, plan, and implement network changes and upgrades.
- Recommend, schedule, plan, and implement server hardware changes and upgrades.
- Monitor client systems and identify potential and actual problems.
- Monitor and test servers and network for potential cyber attack and identify possible solutions.
- Develop and maintain standards and tools to support and secure the network and servers.
- Record and maintain server and network hardware, server licensing, and user access and security.
- Proactively define opportunities for operational efficiency, through technology refreshes, and/or other considerations
- Develop, document and maintain detailed documentation outlining network processes
- Work with the Technology team to ensure connectivity and compatibility between systems
- Proactively monitor and test system performance, collect and analyze metrics and provide statistics, reports and recommend action plan
- Interview, select, train, schedule, supervise, evaluate, counsel, manage, and discipline assigned staff.
- Play a key role in the development of team members that are less senior and act as a mentor
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with WHMIS legislation, the Occupational Health and Safety Act and the Toronto Zoo Safety Policy, ensuring all employees work in a safe manner, with the appropriate protective equipment, and that all accidents and hazards within areas of responsibility are promptly investigated and corrective action taken.
- Assists guests on-site as required ensuring excellent customer service.
- Other related duties as requested by Manager and/or Director.
- Must have a post-secondary degree or diploma in computer, or equivalent experience
- Must have industry certifications Cisco CCNP Wireless, and CISSP or equivalent
- Minimum five (5) years Systems Administrator experience including hands-on experience with:
- Managing a modern endpoint environment through cloud based M365 tools including Azure AD, Intune/Endpoint Manager, Autopilot, Defender for Endpoint, etc.
- Cisco DNA / SDA
- Cisco Identify Services Engine (ISE) for both wired and wireless deployments with integration with Software Defined Networking and MDM
- Deep experience and knowledge of endpoint management technologies and collaboration tools such as SCCM/MECM, Intune, Endpoint Manager, AD/AAD, Autopilot, Defender for Endpoint.
- Proven experience with server implementation and maintenance including experience with security management and best practices.
- Ability to supervise staff and work within a team environment.
- Effective at identifying and leading projects and/or initiatives in support of business goals
- Ability to organize and prioritize accountabilities to support organization needs and advances the Technology strategy.
- Clear and effective written and oral communication skills and the ability to communicate to all levels of the organization.
- Must be self-motivated with the ability to work in a fast moving environment.
- Must possess strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Must be able to multi-task, prioritize and manage daily tasks.
- Must be able to work both, independently and supervised.
- Must be able to meet the physical demands of the position (e.g. lift 50 lbs, walk to client sites, and climb stairs).
- Must have working knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety Act and WHMIS.
- Must possess excellent customer service skills.
- Possession of a full, unrestricted G Class driver’s License, with a clean driving record an asset (drivers abstract required).
- Must be willing to work occasional evenings, weekends and holidays.
CANDIDATES MAY BE REQUIRED TO TAKE A WRITTEN AND/OR PRACTICAL EXAMINATION RELEVANT TO THE POSITION.
The successful candidate may be required to provide a driver’s abstract and/or a Police Record Check, at their own expense as a condition of employment.
The Toronto Zoo provides accommodation for employees with disabilities, as defined under the Ontario Human Rights Code. If contacted for an interview, and you require specific accommodation for the interview process because of a disability or a medical need, then please advise the person contacting you of your requirements, so that arrangements can be made for the appropriate accommodations to be in place before you begin the interview process.
The Toronto Zoo respects the principles of equity, diversity and inclusion and seeks to model these principles in all that we do. We are committed to fostering an inclusive workforce where all employees feel respected, supported and valued. We strive to create an environment that represents the rich diversity of our guests and our community and encourage applications from all qualified individuals who can contribute to enhancing our commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion. The Toronto Zoo supports equity in employment and encourages applications from those who belong to the Government of Canada’s employment equity designated groups: women, Indigenous (First Nations, Inuit, Métis), persons with disabilities and members of racialized groups/members of racialized communities. Applicants from other traditionally marginalized communities (i.e. 2SLGBTQ+) are also encouraged to apply. We are committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities to fully participate in the recruitment process.
Please be advised the Toronto Zoo requires mandatory COVID-19 vaccinations for employees.
Job Type: Full-time
- 8 hour shift