Position Title: Respite Service Worker – Overnight (Full Time)
Department: Housing & Support Services
Location: 705 Progress Rd, Scarborough, ON
Warden Woods Community Center
Warden Woods is non profit charitable organization that has been in operation for over 50 years, with a mission to build caring, compassionate, just, and interdependent communities in southwest Scarborough. We envision our agency to be a place where everyone belongs, everybody is somebody, everybody is challenged to be a part of the solution, we grow and help one another grow, consultation and communication are norms, not exceptions, together we can build and share in a better tomorrow.
Reporting to the Respite Manager, the Respite Worker provides operational assistance and delivers Respite services to clients in a manner that reflects WWCC values. The Respite Service Worker is responsible for the smooth operations and maintenance of the Respite/Drop-In Program, to create a safe and supportive environment for those who are homeless and/or at risk of homelessness. They may be assigned work in other program areas that may require specific skill or abilities (i.e., Recreational and Art Programs, Community Engagement, and the Front Desk Community Space)
· Manage client intake, including welcoming clients and orientation of scheduled activities and services on-site.
· Assist in reception duties including answering phones, checking voicemail, faxes, and distributing mail.
· Monitor common area activity and work with program staff and security to ensure a safe environment. Prevent, defuse, and resolve conflicts.
· Provides information and referrals to Warden Woods’ and community resources to participants. Competency establishing rapport clients to support interactions and possible case plan tasks.
· Assist with supervision of social activities and workshops on-site.
· Food Administration: makes hot/cold drinks, serves meals and snacks, monitors food safety standards, restocks supplies, and records daily statistics.
· Maintenance: Ensures that washrooms and kitchen supplies are replenished, and that surplus items and deliveries are securely stocked. Assist with light cleaning duties of common areas.
· Distributes harm reduction and hygiene kits, and TTC tokens, keep records.
· Maintain client, meal and program statistics needed for reports.
· Attends meetings and participates in agency-wide fundraising and community outreach initiatives.
· Undergraduate Degree/College Diploma in social services or related fields
· 2-3 years of related experience working in: drop-in/shelter, homeless support, crisis, substance use and /or mental health counselling; and with marginalized clients.
· Experience working from an inclusive, client centered approach within a community setting.
· The ability to maintain professional boundaries with clients.
· Excellent knowledge of community resources; mental health and addiction services
· Strong mediation skills required as part of crisis intervention and conflict resolution, with the ability to work in a team environment.
· Preferred training: First Aid/CPR, crisis prevention intervention (CPI), safe food handling, conflict resolution, harm reduction/mental health, SMIS.
· Competent communication skills in English, second language an asset.
· Strong knowledge of MS Office applications, Internet, and office equipment.
· Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
Compensation and Hours of Work:
· $26.00 per hour
· Shift Hours: 11:00 pm – 7:00 am Monday – Friday
WWCC is an equal opportunity employer committed to gender equality and social inclusion in our workplace. All qualified applications will receive consideration without regard to sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, race, ethnic origin, colour, religion, nationality, disability, age, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We encourage applications from BIPOC people, 2SLGBTQIA+ community members, people with disabilities, and members of other equity-deserving groups. Please notify us as soon as possible of any adaptive measures you might require at any stage of the recruitment process.
Warden Woods Community Centre is a unionized workplace and employees are represented by CUPE Local 5218; this is a bargaining unit position.
A criminal background check is required prior to commencing.
Please send resume and cover letter via e-mail only with the subject heading: Respite Service Worker – Overnight in the subject line, no later than May 12th, 2023.
While we thank all who apply, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $26.00 per hour
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Vision care
- Wellness program
- Monday to Friday
- Night shift
- shelter: 1 year (preferred)
Work Location: In person
Application deadline: 2023-05-12
Expected start date: 2023-06-05