Warden Woods is a not-for-profit, multi-service organization that has assisted communities in Southwest Scarborough for over 40 years. Warden Woods, in partnership with the City of Toronto, has opened as of April 15, 2018 a low-barrier homeless respite service open 24 hours/ 7 days a week located at 705 Progress Avenue.
We are currently seeking one full time Drop-In Worker to join our team. The Drop-in workers will be responsible for the smooth day to day operations and maintenance of the Respite/Drop-In Program, to create a safe and supportive environment for those who are homeless and/or at risk of homelessness. They may be assigned work in other program areas that may require specific skill or abilities (i.e. Recreational and Art Programs, Community Engagement, and the Front Desk Community Space.).
Reports to: Respite Administrator Program Area: Health Outreach and Support
Service Delivery and Development 85%
- Performs intake of clients to 24-hour respite program. Orients new clients to scheduled activities and services on-site. Intake, documentation, Incident Reports as assigned using SMIS
- Provides reception support such as answering phones, checking voicemail, sending faxes, distributing mail and greeting clients
- Monitors activity in the hallways and bathrooms and works with program staff and security to ensure a safe environment. Prevents, deescalates, and resolves conflicts.
- Engage with Clients and Provides information and referrals to Warden Woods’ and community resources to participants.
- Establishing rapport with clients to support interactions and possible case plan tasks.
- Assist with supervision of social activities and workshops on-site.
- Food Administration: makes hot/cold drinks, serves meals and snacks, monitors food safety standards, restocks supplies, and records daily statistics.
- Maintenance: Ensures that washrooms and kitchen supplies are replenished, and that surplus items and deliveries are securely stocked. Assist with light cleaning duties of common areas and assist clients with their laundry.
- Distributes harm reduction and hygiene kits, and TTC tokens, keep records.
- Maintain client, meal and program statistics needed for reports
Required Skills and Experience
- Undergraduate Degree/College Diploma in social services or related fields
- 2 to 3 years of related experience working in: drop-in/shelter, homeless support, crisis, substance use and/or mental health counselling; and with marginalized clients.
- Experience working from an anti-oppression, client centred approach within a community setting
- The ability to maintain professional boundaries with clients
- Excellent knowledge of community resources; mental health and addiction services
- Strong mediation skills required as part of crisis intervention and conflict resolution, with the ability to work in a team environment.
- Preferred training: first-aid/CPR, crisis prevention intervention (CPI), safe food handling, conflict resolution, harm reduction/mental health, SMIS,
- Competent communication skills in English, second language an asset
- Strong knowledge of MS Office applications, Internet, and office equipment
- Shift Hours will be 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Agency Participation 5%
- Promotes WWCC values and mission while maintaining good working relationships with co-workers.
- Operates within agency policies and procedures.
- Attends meetings and participates in agency-wide fundraising and community outreach initiatives
- Foster relationships with community partners relevant to homeless populations, nutrition, housing, mental health and other related services.
Mission, Vision and Values
Mission: To build caring, compassionate, equitable, inclusive and interdependent communities in Scarborough.
Vision: We envision our agency to be a place where everyone belongs, everybody is somebody, everybody is challenged to be a part of the solution, we grow and help one another grow, consultation and communication are norms, not exceptions, together we can build and share in a better tomorrow.
Values: Nurture one another, work in partnership, model and promote caring, compassionate and just relationships.
Wage/Salary Rate: $20.44 per hr
Members of equity seeking groups, who meet the above requirements, are encouraged to apply. Warden Woods Community Centre is a unionized workplace and employees are represented by CUPE Local 5218; this is a bargaining unit position.
A police reference check is required by the successful candidates prior to commence
Warden Woods welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
From time to time all jobs will be evaluated and assessed based on the critical path, outcomes/deliverables, performance, and funding constraints, as deemed necessary by the Management Team.
Reference ID: Respite Services 24 hour Full-Time Drop-in Worker
Application deadline: 2020-05-29
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Salary: $20.44 /hour
- On-site Parking
- marginalized clients.: 2 years (Required)
- mediation: 1 year (Preferred)
- AEC / DEP or Skilled Trade Certificate (Required)
- Address Toronto