Position: Research Technician I
Site: STTARR, Princess Margaret Cancer Research Tower
Department: Research & Innovation Cores; STTARR Imaging core
Reports to: Manager, Spatio-Temporal Targeting and Amplification of Radiation Response Core
Salary Range: $25.10 to $31.38 per hour commensurate with experience
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Status: 6 months contract
University Health Network (UHN) is looking for an experienced professional to fill the key role of a Research Technician I in the our Research & Innovation Cores
Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning.
The University Health Network, where “above all else the needs of patients come first”, encompasses Toronto Rehabilitation Institute, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre and the Michener Institute of Education at UHN. The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of groundbreaking firsts and a purpose of “Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning”, the University Health Network (UHN), Canada’s largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,200 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing the world.
University Health Network (UHN) is a research hospital affiliated with the University of Toronto and a member of the Toronto Academic Health Science Network. The scope of research and complexity of cases at UHN have made it a national and international source for discovery, education and patient care. Research across UHN’s five research institutes spans the full spectrum of diseases and disciplines, including cancer, cardiovascular sciences, transplantation, neural and sensory sciences, musculoskeletal health, rehabilitation sciences, and community and population health. Find out about our purpose, values and principles here
As a member of the Spatio-Temporal Targeting and Amplification of Radiation Response (STTARR) Core team, the Research Technician I position supports the execution of pre-clinical studies led by academic and industry clients
- Supports research projects currently underway in the laboratory, including review and assessment of study-related documents
- Supports team members in study preparation as needed; including assisting with specialized equipment preparation and clean-up
- Supports regular operation of the lab, including supply of reagents, equipment maintenance and inventory.
- Assists with regular wet lab maintenance, including restocking lab gowns and supplies, biohazard disposals, clean BSCs, monitor anaesthetic machines and cleaning imaging equipment
- Assists in ordering laboratory supplies, organizing/updating laboratory SOPs, study documentation, update the biosafety documentation
- Communicates and maintains records of experimental data and participate in internal monitoring and quality assurance activities
- Under management guidance, conducts study data input as needed
- Provide support for study reports for investigators
- Liaises with investigators, research study team members, external stakeholders and vendors
- At minimum Bachelor’s degree (science), or recognized equivalent, in a health or science-related discipline
- Experience in animal model handling for pre-clinical studies, preferred
- 1-2 years of pre-clinical research experience in experimental labs.
- Knowledge of investigator-driven research processes, and mandatory reporting
- Knowledge of research regulations and guidelines, such as ICH/GCP guidelines, Tri-Council Policy, Declaration of Helsinki and FDA CFR and Health Canada TPD
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work well independently as well as part of a team; self-motivated
- Ability to multi-task and handle both administrative and technical workload
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Proficiency with MS Office software (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
If you are interested in making your contribution at UHN, please apply on-line. You will be asked to copy and paste as well as attach your resume and covering letter. You will also be required to complete some initial screening questions.
Vaccines (COVID-19 and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption on a medical ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
Posted Date: March 23, 2023 Closing Date: Until Filled
For current UHN employees, only those who have successfully completed their probationary period, have a good employee record along with satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN’s attendance management program, and possess all the required experience and qualifications should apply.
UHN thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity and welcomes all applicants including but not limited to: all religions and ethnicities, LGBTQ2s+, BIPOC, persons with disabilities and all others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the Bona-fide requirements for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.