Job Posting #: 922465
Position: Research Technician I
Site: Toronto General Hospital
Reports to: Principal Investigator
Hours: 35 hours per week
Salary: $25.10 – $31.38 per hour. To commensurate with experience and consistent with UHN compensation policy
Status: Temporary Full-Time
Posted Date: July 13, 2023
Closing Date: August 13, 2023
The University Health Network, where “above all else the needs of patients come first”, encompasses Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, Toronto Rehabilitation Institute and the Michener Institute of Education. The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of ground breaking firsts and a purpose of “Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning”, the University Health Network (UHN), Canada’s largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,200 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing the world.
We are seeking a highly motivated Research Assistant or Research Technician I to pursue our mouse experiments and analysis on cancer and aging research. The successful candidate will be genuinely interested in Science, and work closely with other members of the lab to perform both collaborative and independent experiments.
Responsibilities include mouse maintenance and breeding based on PCR-based genotyping, drug treatments, imaging, histological analysis, Western blot analysis and immunohistochemistry (IHC). Lab maintenance, ordering, data analysis, reporting and generation of publication quality figures.
- At minimum, completion of a Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in a health or science-related discipline
- At minimum, six (6) months related work experience in a laboratory setting
- General technical knowledge and skills to perform routine, standardized laboratory research techniques and procedures required
- Experience handling mice colonies required
- Experience in cell culture and molecular biology preferred
- A willingness to learn new techniques and technologies
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work independently and accurately under deadlines
- Meticulous and detail-oriented
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills in a team environment
Why join UHN?
In addition to working alongside some of the most talented and inspiring healthcare professionals in the world, UHN offers a wide range of benefits, programs and perks. It is the comprehensiveness of these offerings that makes it a differentiating factor, allowing you to find value where it matters most to you, now and throughout your career at UHN.
- Competitive offer packages
- Government organization and a member of the Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP https://hoopp.com/)
- Close access to Transit and UHN shuttle service
- A flexible work environment
- Opportunities for development and promotions within a large organization
- Additional perks (multiple corporate discounts including: travel, restaurants, parking, phone plans, auto insurance discounts, on-site gyms, etc.)
Current UHN employees must have successfully completed their probationary period, have a good employee record along with satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN’s attendance management program, to be eligible for consideration.
Vaccines (COVID and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption on a medical ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their requirements known in advance. Any information received related to an accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
University Health Network thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.