JOB POSTING # 904956
Position: REHABILITATION ASSISTANT, PTA – Peter Munk Cardiac Centre
Site: TORONTO GENERAL HOSPITAL
Department: ALLIED HEALTH
Reports to: MANAGER
Salary: $24.85 – $31.07 per hour
Hours: 18.75 hours per week (Preferred schedule: Full-day on Wed & Fri, Half-day on Thurs; or Half-day Mon to Fri)
Status: Permanent, part-time
The Energy of the City. The Rewards of a Great Career.
The University Health Network, where “above all else the needs of patients come first”, encompasses Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, Toronto Rehabilitation Institute and the Michener Institute of Education at UHN. The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of groundbreaking firsts and a purpose of “Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning”, the University Health Network (UHN), Canada’s largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,200 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing the world. Find out about our purpose, values and principles here.
Supports the Physiotherapy profession by taking responsibility for clinical duties as assigned by the Physical Therapist; providing treatment to progress clients and prepare them for discharge. Under the supervision of a Physical Therapist, assisting Therapists in the functional mobility of patients; independently supervising patients during their treatment activities. and ensuring patients perform prescribed activities in an appropriate and safe manner; supporting the clinicians by ensuring clinical supplies are available for treatment sessions; supporting the program administratively by ensuring the treatment areas and equipment are cleaned and maintained on a regular basis, and appropriate supplies are ordered; participating in supervision of Rehabilitation Assistant students; participating in departmental, program and hospital meetings and activities as required; performing cross functional duties as required.
- At minimum, completion of a community college certificate program
- Completion of a recognized post secondary Physiotherapy and/or Rehabilitation Assistant certificate program
- Up to one (1) year of relevant acute care experience preferred
- Experience working with medical and surgical patient population preferred
- Basic word processing computer skills in Microsoft Office
- Client service oriented with the ability to effectively work with diversity
- Demonstrates a clear understanding of rehabilitation principles and knowledge of applicable legislative policies
- Demonstrates appropriate and effective written, oral and non-verbal communication with patients, families, colleagues and the public
- Knowledge of the equipment and materials used in the provision of OT/PT treatments
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to function within an interdisciplinary team
- Ability to solve problems and seek guidance of supervising staff when appropriate
- Ability to deal effectively with clients with challenging or conflicting situations
- Ability to use good judgment in assessing challenging situations
- Ability to anticipate client’s unique needs
- Ability to be consistent and display a positive/helpful attitude
- Ability to work in a self directed manner
- Ability to function in a stressful environment while maintaining professional demeanor
- Standard First/Aid Basic Rescuer Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (C.P.R.) certification required
Vaccines (COVID-19 and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption on a medical ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
POSTED DATE: August 25, 2022 CLOSING DATE: until filled
For current UHN employees, only those who have successfully completed their probationary period, have a good employee record along with satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN’s attendance management program, and possess all the required experience and qualifications should apply.
University Health Network thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity and welcomes all applicants including but not limited to: all religions and ethnicities, LGBTQ2s+, BIPOC, persons with disabilities and all others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the Bona-fide requirements for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.