Supports the Occupational Therapy and Physiotherapy professions by taking responsibility for clinical duties as assigned by the Occupational or Physical Therapist; providing cognitive treatment to progress clients and prepare them for discharge, provision and maintenance of equipment such as wheelchairs etc. under the supervision of a Occupational therapist, assisting Therapists in the functional mobility of patients; independently supervising patients during their treatment activities and ensuring patients perform prescribed activities in an appropriate and safe manner; supporting the clinicians by ensuring clinical supplies are available for treatment sessions; supporting the program administratively by ensuring the treatment areas and equipment are cleaned and maintained on a regular basis, and appropriate supplies are ordered; participating in supervision of Rehabilitation Assistant students; participating in departmental, program and hospital meetings and activities as required; performing cross functional duties as required.
- At minimum, completion of a community college certificate program
- Completion of a recognized post secondary Occupational Therapist and Physiotherapist Assistant diploma and/or Rehabilitation Assistant certificate program
- Up to one (1) year of relevant acute care experience preferred
- Experience with cognitive treatment and working with neurological patient population preferred
- Basic word processing computer skills in Microsoft Office
- Client service oriented with the ability to effectively work with diversity
- Demonstrates a clear understanding of rehabilitation principles and knowledge of applicable legislative policies
- Demonstrates appropriate and effective written, oral and non-verbal communication with patients, families, colleagues and the public
- Knowledge of the equipment and materials used in the provision of OT/PT treatments
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to function within an interdisciplinary team
- Ability to solve problems and seek guidance of supervising staff when appropriate
- Ability to deal effectively with clients with challenging or conflicting situations
- Ability to use good judgment in assessing challenging situations
- Ability to anticipate client’s unique needs
- Ability to be consistent and display a positive/helpful attitude
- Ability to work in a self directed manner
- Ability to function in a stressful environment while maintaining professional demeanor
- Standard First/Aid Basic Rescuer Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (C.P.R.) certification required
POSTED DATE: October 8, 2020 CLOSING DATE: until filled
For current UHN employees, only those who have successfully completed their probationary period, have a good employee record along with satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN’s attendance management program, and possess all the required experience and qualifications should apply.
University Health Network thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the Bona-fide for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.