Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning.
At University Health Network, which consists of Toronto General, Toronto Western, Princess Margaret and Toronto Rehab hospitals, nothing is more important to us than our team of dedicated employees. UHN focuses on creating and maintaining a workplace of choice, where our people are recognized and valued. We focus on creating a workplace where people enjoy the challenge of their career, create and engage in best practices and are treated with respect.
As a member of a multi-disciplinary Team, the REGISTERED PRACTICAL NURSE practices in accordance with relevant legislation/standards, the UHN Professional Practice Model and the mission and vision of nursing at the UHN to provide compassionate, collaborative and competent care, while meeting the legal and ethical requirements of the profession.
The principal responsibilities include:
- Delivering up-to-date education on COVID-19 transmission prevention to UHN employees, physicians, learners and volunteers.
- Providing over-the-phone consultation, follow-up, and recommendations.
- Rotating between UHN sites to provide respiratory virus testing to UHN staff.
- Demonstrate flexibility in ever-changing work environment due to the nature of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Performing cross-functional and other duties as assigned.
- Completion of college, or other approved Registered Practical Nursing program
- Current registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario as a Registered Practical Nurse
- Current Basic Cardiac Life Support (B.C.L.S.) certification
Skills & Competencies
Ability to perform respiratory virus testing on symptomatic and asymptomatic individuals.
Ability to perform NP swabs for respiratory viral testing
Conduct exposure risk assessments over the phone with UHN staff members who potentially have been exposed to COVID-19.
Interpret and apply COVID-19/OHS Guidelines and Outbreak Management Plans.
Critical thinking when assessing and problem-solving issues.
- Ability to effectively triage patients that walk into the occupational health/rapid-testing clinic or call on the telephone.
- Problem solve concerns, and appropriately escalate staff concerns to leadership.
- Utilize the nursing process and assessment skills in planning, implementing and evaluation and making clinical decisions.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal and communications skills.
- Flexibility, enthusiasm, and adaptability to work in frequently-changing environment.
- Possesses computer skills in MS office (Excel, Word, and Outlook).
POSTED DATE: August 25, 2020 CLOSING DATE: Until Filled
For current UHN employees, only those who have successfully completed their probationary period, have maintained satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN’s attendance management program and possess all the required experience and qualifications should apply.
University Health Network thanks all applicants, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the Bona-fide requirements for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.