“Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning”
At University Health Network, which consists of Toronto General, Toronto Western, Princess Margaret and Toronto Rehab hospitals, nothing is more important to us than our team of dedicated employees. UHN focuses on creating and maintaining a workplace of choice, where our people are recognized and valued. We focus on creating a workplace where people enjoy the challenge of their career, create and engage in best practices and are treated with respect.
The Toronto Rehabilitation Institute, a leader in adult rehabilitation and complex continuing care, is Canada’s largest adult rehabilitation hospital. Bringing together innovative patient care, groundbreaking research and diverse education to help people overcome or recover from disabling injury, illness or age-related conditions Toronto Rehab is located at four sites: University Centre (550 University Ave.), Lyndhurst Hospital and Toronto Rehab’s Cardiac and Stroke Centre (Rumsey Road) and the Bickle Centre (Dunn Ave).. Find out about our purpose, values and principles here.
The Registered Practical Nurse practises in accordance with relevant legislation/standards to provide compassionate, collaborative and competent care, while meeting the legal and ethical requirements of the profession. The principal responsibilities include: planning, managing and evaluating nursing care for patients and families within the RPN scope of practice in the context of an interdisciplinary practice; using current theoretical and research knowledge and the input of team members to plan and implement care for patients and families; participating in interprofessional team care planning forums, inter-professional rounds and family conferences; providing mentorship to RPN students and new staff on the unit; participating in professional, program and hospital-wide initiatives, including professional development of self; complying with and commitment to patient safety responsibilities and corresponding hospital plans, policies and procedures in order to ensure a safe environment for patients.
- Member in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Diploma preparation as an RPN in a recognized education program for Nursing preferred
- Completion of a health assessment/physical assessment course from an accredited college or university in the past 2 to 3 years (or equivalent) required; qualified internal applicants, if currently enrolled in a health assessment/physical assessment course, the course must be successfully completed before January 1, 2021
- Recent heath assessment course required
- Experience in complex MSK and oncology patients required
- Successful completion of Basic Cardiac Life Support (C level) Heart Saver Plus (Canada)
- Well developed conceptual and theoretical understanding of nursing concepts as they relate to patient population and an ability to articulate these concepts
- Well developed clinical decision-making skills that reflect patient centredness, problem solving and critical thinking
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and leadership skills
- Demonstrated ability to impart knowledge to students within the context of a teaching hospital
- Good knowledge of standards of nursing practice and applicable health care legislation
- Computer literacy or willing to pursue appropriate training in computer software
- Demonstrated ability to identify and meet own learning needs for pursue ongoing professional development