Berg Chilling Systems designs, manufactures, installs, and services custom industrial thermal process control systems for a broad range of industries and specialized applications around the world. For more than 45 years, Berg continues to satisfy customers with 5,000 chilling systems in more than 30 industries across 50 countries.
From our Toronto based facility, we design, manufacture, test, and integrate skid-mounted process refrigeration equipment, mechanical packages, and fluid pumping systems using both natural and HFC refrigerants for ease of installation and commissioning.
We currently have a permanent opportunity for a Project Engineer, reporting to the Engineering Manager. The Project Engineer is responsible for project and daily work order activities, project documentation, and scheduling. The incumbent in this role is responsible for overseeing assigned projects that involve coordination with other organizations, maintaining schedules, or high-value clients. This role develops project schedules for project delivery and communicates directly with clients while coordinating with internal and external resources to ensure projects are completed as required by the client specifications.
Specific Responsibilities and Duties
- Oversees projects from received order to completion (From PO Stage, design, manufacture, installation)
- Oversees projects and work orders, directing the team for implementation of customer orders and service requests.
- Communicates with both internal and external teams, including subcontractors and manufacturers.
- Keeps the engineering and manufacturing teams on track and accountable, following the job through from beginning to finish.
- Oversees the quality of work done by team members, including Designers, Production, and Logistics.
- Ensures standards of performance are met for all customer work activities.
- Builds and maintains relationships with existing clients, focusing on their needs and customize company products and services accordingly.
- Maintains (in conjunction with Sales) consistent communication, support, and timely follow-ups with client groups; acts as an available valuable resource to address various customer issues.
- Provides technical assistance to relevant internal and external groups.
- Acts as the main point-of-contact for coordinating all client technical activities, services, orders for each assigned account.
- Provides timely responses to customer requests for products, services, and/or information.
- Maintains a comprehensive understanding of customer needs, corporate goals, business practices, and satisfaction/performance criteria.
- Provides frequent and regular status reports to customer regarding project and work order status.
- Works collaboratively with client and client’s third-party firms as required.
- Schedules and manages update meetings internally and/or externally with relevant groups, prepares professional meeting materials (e.g. PowerPoint presentations, etc.).
- Reviews all work plans, schedules, and logistics established for customer’s major projects.
- Attends project meetings as necessary.
- Uses company tools and systems appropriately and according to set processes and procedures.
- Assists with setting and managing production timelines.
- Provides input throughout the manufacturing cycle to ensure that any bottlenecks or changes in scope are identified and resolved in a manner that benefits both the Company and the customer.
- Ensures documentation standards are maintained for all account activities; ensures process and procedures are followed.
- Prepares project-specific documentation including testing procedures, reports, and material analysis as required by project specifications.
- Coordinates project installation and commissioning with the service department and third-party contractors.
- Maintains detailed records of project deficiencies to ensure they are addressed in a timely manner and to avoid similar issues in future projects.
- Oversees subcontractor scopes of work including gathering quotes, issuing PO’s, and monitoring progress.
- Works with engineering teams to ensure project specifications are met and to resolve issues as they arise.
- Assists procurement and logistics teams to ensure deliveries of critical components occur as required.
- Reads and understands technical documents ranging from client specifications to engineering drawings (mechanical and electrical).
- Monitors project budget during manufacture to ensure extra costs are not incurred.
- Analyzes project financials after project delivery to be used to ensure future sales quotes are accurate.
- Works with the financial team and clients to ensure invoicing milestones are met.
- Assists financial team with processing of invoices for subcontractors and clients.
Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or related field required
- 5-7 years of experience working in engineering design and/or project management required
- P. Eng. designation considered an asset
- Experience with overall systems (mechanical, electrical and control engineering) an asset
- Able to communicate effectively to all levels of internal and external contacts, both verbally and in writing
- Strong knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, MS Project, and Windows applications
- Strong presentation skills – able to conduct meetings and training sessions in front of a group
- Able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and vendors and deal tactfully with the public
- Excellent collaboration, organizational, time management, customer service and problem-solving skills and the ability to work accurately and meet deadlines with frequent interruptions
- Able to work and thrive in a team environment focused on achieving results
- Able to read and interpret technical documents including engineering drawings and specifications
- Flexible and nimble to changing priorities
- Ability to proactively handle reactive situations
The salary and benefits package will be commensurate with experience.
Equal Opportunity Employer
At Berg Chilling Systems, we welcome diversity and the synergy stemming from all perspectives as a result of different backgrounds and experiences. We provide respect and equal employment opportunities for all Company individuals and applicants for positions regardless of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, age, record of offences, marital status, same-sex partnership status, family status and disability.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Vision care
- Monday to Friday
- Bachelor’s Degree (Preferred)
- Engineering Design: 5 years (Preferred)
- Project Management: 3 years (Preferred)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19