Summerhill Market is a boutique grocery store chain in Toronto that specializes in scratch-made prepared foods and on-trend ingredients. Our stores go above and beyond a typical grocery store by offering an extensive rotating selection of ready to eat gourmet meals, freshly baked goodies, and curated hard to find groceries.
We are looking for talented individuals to join our growing team and help elevate our brand to the next level. Summerhill Market is an industry trend setter, and we are looking for individuals who are passionate about food and customer service.
Summerhill Market is looking for a Produce Clerk to join the Produce team at our Sherwood location.
Duties & Responsibilities:
As a member of the Summerhill Market team, you will conduct yourself with integrity and are committed to providing the best possible service to Summerhill’s customers, staff and clients. The responsibilities of the Produce Clerk include but are not limited to:
- Assisting in receiving, storing, and stocking of produce while ensuring proper product rotation and quality
- Supporting with setting up produce displays, ensuring proper stacking of products
- Handling product damages and credits according to company policy
- Becoming familiar with all store products and their locations in order to assist customers in locating items
- Supporting Produce Management with monitoring ordering, inventory and wastage
- Maintaining store cleanliness
- Being a team player and helping your team members across the store as needed
- Adhering to all company policies, procedures and practices including signing, pricing, and loss prevention
- Passion for food – you are a true foodie at heart!
- Dedication to delivering an exceptional Customer experience – you love our customers as much as we do!
- Being an effective and positive communicator – having great listening skills patience and knowing how to de-escalate challenging situations
- Previous produce, grocery or food industry experience along with a Food Safety Handlers Certification is an asset
- Excellent communication skills (verbally and written) with a customer focused mindset and the ability to receive direction well
- Collaborative with the ability to work in a dynamic team to create solutions in support of store operations
- Able to stand, reach, lift, bend, kneel, stoop, climb, push and pull items weighing 50 pounds or less
- Flexible availability to work morning, evening, and weekend shifts with the ability to accommodate various shift coverage on short notice
- Maintaining Health and Safety Standards as defined under the Health and Safety Act
- Comfortable working in a cooler environment, entering coolers/freezers as needed
- Tech savvy with the ability to learn our ERP, inventory ordering system
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred
If this sounds like the role for you, we offer some pretty cool perks!
- Weekly pay
- Awesome employee discount
- Flexible schedule
- Employer paid benefits for all full-time employees
- Dynamic workplace culture that promotes collaboration, internal training/development, diversity & inclusion and recognizing, rewards & celebrates employees
- Easily accessible locations
- Complimentary work swag (your Summerhill Market work shirts are provided)
At Summerhill Market, we are an equal opportunity employer that values and encourages diversity in the workplace. We provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, record of offences, marital status, family status, disability or any other characteristic protected by local law. Should you require an accommodation at any point during the recruitment process, please let us know and we will be happy to accommodate.
The purpose of this document is to provide a general summary of essential responsibilities for this position and is not an exhaustive list. Duties, assignments, and other responsibilities may differ for similar positions based on business needs of each location.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Discounted or free food
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Store discount
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Evening shift
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Toronto, ON M4P 2M4: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Grocery/Food Industry: 1 year (preferred)
- Produce/Food Handling: 1 year (preferred)
Work Location: In person