As an integral member of the transportation Department, the responsibilities of the HOSPITAL ASSISTANT include: transporting patients to various locations throughout the hospital for tests and other procedures, as per established schedule or as paged/requested; picking up and delivering specimens, supplies, dirty/soiled instruments, equipment and other miscellaneous items to various locations throughout the hospital, as per established schedule or as paged/requested; monitoring and replenishing medical and other supplies to ensure the department has sufficient quantity on hand; performing cleaning/set up activities to ensure the cleanliness of equipment, supplies, work area and rooms, while adhering to Body Substance Precaution practices; performing cross-functional duties as assigned and/or required; performing other duties consistent with the job classification, as assigned and/or required.
- At minimum completion of high school or recognized equivalent
- 3 months to less than 6 months practical and related experience and/or 3 months to less than 6months on the job training
- Must be able to understand verbal work orders and instructions.
- Must be able to read/understand short notes and brief forms to read invoices, orders and memos.
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the job including: pushing/pulling case carts; pushing/pulling patients in beds/wheelchairs weighing greater than 20 kg; lifting bins; pushing pumps
- Ability to perform duties in a professional and courteous manner and produce high quality work while meeting deadlines in accordance to UHN standards.
- Exercise initiative and good judgment with ability to multi-task.
- Effective organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Knowledge of applicable legislative, UHN and/or departmental policies.
- Client service oriented, with the ability to effectively work with diversity and appreciate that people with different opinions, backgrounds and characteristics bring richness to the challenge or situation at hand.
- May be required to work at multiple areas as well as rotating shifts in emergency situations
If you are interested in making your contribution at UHN, please apply on-line. You will be asked to copy and paste as well as attach your resume and covering letter. You will also be required to complete some initial screening questions.
University Health Network thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the Bona-fide requirements for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements