Must be available to work a minimum of three (3) calendar days per week (weekdays) including days, evenings, and nights.
Must be available to work every other weekend including statutory holidays.
The University Health Network, where “above all else the needs of patients come first”, encompasses Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, Toronto Rehabilitation Institute and the Michener Institute of Education. The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of ground breaking firsts and a purpose of “Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning”, the University Health Network (UHN), Canada’s largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,200 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing the world.
The Porter is an integral member of the Transportation department and performs duties in accordance with departmental and hospital standards of practice, policies, and procedures to ensure we provide efficient and courteous transportation services to our patients, visitors and staff.
- Transporting patients to various locations throughout the hospital for tests and other procedures, as per established schedule or as paged/requested;
- Picking up and delivering specimens, supplies, dirty/soiled instruments, equipment and other miscellaneous items to various locations throughout the hospital, as per established schedule or as paged/requested;
- Monitoring and replenishing medical and other supplies to ensure the department has sufficient quantity on hand;
- Performing cleaning and set up activities to ensure the cleanliness of equipment, supplies, work area and rooms, while adhering to Body Substance Precaution practices;
- Performing cross-functional duties as assigned and/or required;
- At minimum completion of high school or recognized equivalent;
- Must be able to understand verbal work orders and instructions;
- Must be able to read/understand short notes and brief forms to read invoices, orders and memos;
- Ability to perform duties in a professional and courteous manner and produce high quality work while meeting deadlines in accordance to UHN standards;
- Exercise initiative and good judgment with ability to multi-task;
- Effective organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills;
- Knowledge of applicable legislative, UHN and/or departmental policies;
- Client service oriented, with the ability to effectively work with diversity and appreciate that people with different opinions, backgrounds and characteristics bring richness to the challenge or situation at hand;
- Compliance with Body Substance Precautions provisions;
- Compliance with sanitary and infection control requirements;
**Note: This Part Time position does not have a regular schedule and employees are called in for shifts (prescheduled shifts). Part Time employees must be available for all shifts (Days, Evenings, Nights) and are assigned to work in all areas of the department. Once hired, part time employees are eligible to apply for opportunities internally.
Why join UHN?
In addition to working alongside some of the most talented and inspiring healthcare professionals in the world, UHN offers a wide range of benefits, programs and perks. It is the comprehensiveness of these offerings that makes it a differentiating factor, allowing you to find value where it matters most to you, now and throughout your career at UHN.
- Competitive compensation & benefits (medical, dental, etc.)
- HOOPP defined benefit pension plan
- Wellness services & offerings
- Close access to the TCC and UHN shuttle service
- Opportunities for development and promotions within a large organization
- Additional perks (multiple corporate discounts including: travel, restaurants, parking, phone plans, auto insurance discounts, on-site gyms, etc.)
Current UHN employees must have successfully completed their probationary period, have a good employee record along with satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN’s attendance management program, to be eligible for consideration.
Vaccines (COVID and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption on a medical ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their requirements known in advance. Any information received related to an accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
University Health Network thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.