Swegon North America is a leader in HVAC, commercial ventilation and integrated heating and cooling solutions. We offer over fifty years of unsurpassed industry experience to mechanical engineering consultants and contractors. Swegon supplies components and systems creating superior indoor climate, energy conservation and acoustic solutions producing environments designed for ultimate quality and comfort.
We are actively seeking a new Plant Manager to join the Swegon team at our brand new modern manufacturing facility in Ajax, ON. Reporting to the VP Operations, the Plant Manager will direct and manage all plant operations and be a pivotal member of the operations team.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a progressive and dynamic company that values a diverse workforce and collaborative culture!
- Direct and Manage all plant operations: responsibilities for production, equipment/ facilities maintenance, housekeeping, quality, and other production-related activities.
- Plan, Organize, Direct, and Run day-to-day operations to meet daily/weekly/monthly manufacturing targets and our customers’ expectations
- Direct reports – unionized Team Leaders, and Hourly Manufacturing employees
- Coordinate, Direct and Manage teams to ensure that manufacturing targets and objectives are met
- Accountable for Health and Safety – ensuring compliance to all established Health & Safety rules and provincial laws
- Liaison with senior management on the status of production projects and daily operations. Attend and participate in various company meetings and provide updates or present as required
- Communicate with the teams and share company goals and objectives
- Develop, Recommend, Participate in continuous improvement systems for production methods, production information systems, interactions with other functions and groups and internal communications between teams for productivity and throughput improvement
- Assist in the evaluation of the well-being of each team member through ongoing interaction within the teams
- Work with manufacturing engineers, design engineers, and logistics management to evaluate equipment upgrades and capex requirements
- Ensure all employees are trained on Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) for their particular job function and that they are performing the job in the manner outlined in the SOP
- Initiate action to prevent the occurrence of any nonconformity relating to product, process and quality system
- Identify and record any problems relating to the product, process and quality system; recommend or provide solutions through designated channels; verifying the implementation of solutions, control further processing, delivery or installation of nonconforming product until the deficiency or unsatisfactory condition has been corrected
- Assist in Materials Inventory and Controls management
- Some primarily local travel may be required during the business day. Some out of town/overnight travel may be expected on occasion
- The successful candidate will have 5+ years’ of proven work experience as a Plant Manager in a sheet metal fabrication, unionized manufacturing environment.
- Hands on operation and supervisory responsibilities in multiple fabrication processes such as sheet metal shearing, press brakes, spot welding, MIG welding, light assembly, and other general fabrication activities is a requirement.
- Experience with industry standard equipment with strong technical knowledge and expertise
- Experience implementing quality systems and lean manufacturing practices is highly desired
- Experience with managing unionized employees
- Strong communication skills – both written and verbal
- Ability to utilize as well as create effective excel spreadsheets. Experienced user of Microsoft Word and Outlook
- Facilitation experience and strong leadership skills with the ability to successfully work with different levels of personnel
- Adequate knowledge of business and management principles (budgeting, strategic planning, resource allocation and human resources)
- Computer literacy
- Ability to create accountability and to lead by example
- Strong team building, decision-making and people management skills
- Shift schedule is Monday to Thursday (occasional Friday mornings) 5:30am – 5:00pm
Swegon North America has an accommodation process in place that provides accommodations for applicants and employees with disabilities. Accommodations are available by request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. If you require a specific accommodation because of a disability or medical need, please contact our Human Resources Department at 416-291-7371. This ensures the appropriate accommodations are in place during the recruitment process and before employment commences.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: From $95,000.00 per year
- Casual dress
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- 12 hour shift
- Day shift
Supplemental pay types:
- Bonus pay
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Ajax, ON L1Z0K4: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Are you eligible to work full time for any employer in Canada?
- Are you available to work Monday to Thursday 5:30am-5:00pm and if required on Fridays from 5:30am to 12pm ?
- When would you be available to start working in this position?
- What is your salary range expectation?
- Unionized employee Supervisory: 3 years (preferred)
- Business & Management: 5 years (preferred)
- Manufacturing Plant Manager: 5 years (preferred)
- production management: 5 years (preferred)
- Sheet Metal production: 3 years (preferred)