VON Canada’s eHomecare program is growing and we are currently seeking Personal Support Workers “Health Care Technicians” for Part-Time opportunities! Various part-time positions may be 0.8 FTE = 60 hours bi-weekly, 0.6 FTE = 45 hours bi-weekly etc.
Candidates are encouraged to apply and discuss hours/availability when contacted for interview.
PSWs, DSWs, HCAs and Internationally Educated Nurses are welcome to apply!
Employment Status: Permanent, Part-Time
Program Name: eHomecare
Work Schedule: Nights including Weekends
Union/Bargaining Unit: OPSEU
On Call: No
Our Personal Support Workers (PSWs), Palliative, Pediatrics and/or Acute Medically Complex (also known as Health Care Technicians) have unique opportunities to use their talents every day with palliative, pediatrics and/or acute medically complex clients respectively. Under the direction of a Registered Nurse, Directing (DRN) the Care Technician will be providing direct, hands-on care to clients in the clients’ homes in conjunction with our nursing and/or Home Care programs. The Care Technician will work collaboratively and be in direct communication with the DRN through a virtual electronic monitoring system which enables the Care Technician to provide real time information to the DRN.
Training will be provided to support advanced skill sets and requirements.
PSWs, Palliative, Pediatrics and/or Acute Medically Complex hired for the Burlington site may be scheduled to work anywhere in the area. Access to a personal vehicle is required.
- The Personal Support Worker, Palliative will provide specialized personal support to our palliative clients under the constant direction of a Registered Nurse, Directing
- The Personal Support Worker, Acute Medically Complex will provide specialized personal support to our medically complex [Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) and Congestive Heart Failure (CHF)] clients under the constant direction of a Registered Nurse, Directing
- The Personal Support Worker, Pediatrics will provide specialized personal support to our pediatric clients under the constant direction of a Registered Nurse, Directing
- Training will be provided to support advanced skill sets and requirements.
- Employees may be required to support one or more of these positions as noted above under the umbrella of our eShift services.
- Personal Support Worker certification is mandatory
- Fundamentals of Palliative Care – Level I course completion or a commitment to take the next available course (within the first year of employment)
- AHPCE course completion is an asset
- Current CPR and First Aid certification will be requested
- One (1) to two (2) years experience as a PSW; palliative, pediatric, or acute care (hospital) experience preferred
- Ability to adjust to working in different social and economic environments
- Awareness of community resources is essential
- Must be able to communicate well, both written and verbal
- Demonstrated basic observation and problem solving skills
- Experience in, and aptitude for, ongoing skills training as well as the ability to implement learned skills and behaviours
- Ability to work effectively in a multidisciplinary team, take direction well and work independently
- Willingness to travel to neighbouring communities
- Must have a vehicle or access to reliable transportation
- A current and original copy of a satisfactory Criminal Records Check is required upon the start of your employment
- A Vulnerable Sector Search and/or Child Abuse Registry Check may be required
- Ability to speak French is an asset in French Designated areas
- Must be able to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: Attention to detail; Lift and carry using appropriate lifting techniques; Bend, push, pull, grip, reach, kneel, crouch using good body mechanics; Walk, sit, stand, climb stairs; Hand movements.
VON Canada is committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities and to providing accessibility accommodations for candidates who require them. If you are in need of accessibility support, please visit our website at http://www.von.ca/en/accessibility for further information and contact details.
Attention Current Employees (Internal Applicants): If you are applying to a unionized position and you are a member of its bargaining unit, please be aware that this posting may remain open beyond the deadline if there are not enough applicants to fill the position(s). If the posting remains open after the initial deadline, VON may close the posting at its’ discretion or a rolling deadline equivalent to the posting period specified in your Collective Agreement will be deemed, and each successive period will be treated as a separate posting for purposes of comparing seniority between candidates.