CUPE JOB POSTING #922555
Position: Personal Support Worker (formerly known as Patient Care Assistant) (3 positions)
Site: Toronto General Hospital
Department: Surgical Oncology
Reports to: Manager, Surgical Oncology
Hourly Rate: $25.03 – $25.80 (Start rate: determined in accordance with collective agreement requirements)
Hours: Various as required
Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning.
The University Health Network, where “above all else the needs of patients come first”, encompasses Toronto Rehabilitation Institute, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre and the Michener Institute of Education at UHN. The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of ground-breaking firsts and a purpose of “Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning”, the University Health Network (UHN), Canada’s largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,200 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing the world.
Our dynamic, interprofessional team consists of, but is not limited to, physicians, nurses, health care assistants, respiratory therapy, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, speech language pathology, dietitians, social work, pharmacy, and spiritual and religious care. A key focus of the health care team is the promotion of quality patient outcomes and exceptional patient experiences.
The Personal Support Worker (PSW) is a member of the inter-professional care team and is expected to maintain a collaborative and active working relationship with team members in the provision of patient care. Additionally, the PSW will be expected to:
- Assist patients with activities of daily living: This includes feeding, lifts and transfers, bathing, skin care, oral hygiene, and toileting.
- Perform tasks delegated by an RN or RPN in compliance with the RHPA for which appropriate education and training has been completed. RNs and RPNs will be responsible for the oversight of the PSW when performing the delegated tasks. Delegated tasks can include actions that involve insertion of a digit or instrument into a body cavity, or any care or procedure under the dermis, for example.
- Communicate and demonstrate basic information in accordance with a patient’s pre-established Plan of Care.
- Ensure a safe environment for patients and staff by reporting and documenting unsafe conditions such as broken equipment as well as any patient behavioral, physical, or cognitive changes. Safety concerns must be reported to an RN, RPN or other regulated health provider, in compliance with patient safety responsibilities and corresponding hospital plans, policies and procedures in order to ensure a safe environment for patients.
- Complete and maintain related patient records and progress notes, as per hospital policy.
- Education: Successful completion of a PSW program from an accredited college (i.e. George Brown College, Centennial, Humber, Mohawk, and any other accredited college);
- Current Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) Certificate;
- Behavioral management training (such as PIECES, U-First, CPI) is considered an asset
- Ability to handle daily mild to moderate physical exertion (i.e. constant standing, walking, climbing, reaching and frequent movement) on an occasional to frequent basis;
- Vaccines (COVID-19 and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption on a medical grounds pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
- Acute care and/or previous rehab experience considered an asset;
POSTED DATE: July 20, 2023 CLOSING DATE: Until Filled
For current UHN employees, only those who have successfully completed their probationary period, have maintained satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN’s attendance management program and possess all the required experience and qualifications should apply.
University Health Network thanks all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity and welcomes all applicants including but not limited to: all religions and ethnicities, LGBTQ2s+, BIPOC, persons with disabilities and all others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the Bona-fide requirements for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.