Job Posting #: 919353
Site: Toronto General Hospital
Department: Surgical Pathology
Reports to: Senior Manager, Pathology
Salary: $37.55 to $46.94 per hour
Hours: 37.5 hours per week; All shifts 24/7
Status: Permanent Full Time
Posted Date: May 11, 2023
Closing Date: Until Filled
The University Health Network, where “above all else the needs of patients come first”, encompasses Toronto Rehabilitation Institute, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre and the Michener Institute of Education. The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of ground breaking firsts and a purpose of “Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning”, the University Health Network (UHN), Canada’s largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,200 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing the world. Find out about our purpose, values and principles here.
The Pathologists’ Assistant is assigned to both the Division of Surgical Pathology and to the Division of Autopsy Pathology. The Pathologists’ Assistant reports to the Departmental Manager for operational tasks, and the Medical Directors of service for the delegated tasks in surgical pathology and autopsy.
In the Surgical Pathology lab, the Pathologists’ Assistant describes and dictates the findings of specimens during grossing procedures; photographs specimens, participates in quality management activities and adheres to established safe practices to promote a safe working environment for all. Working knowledge of medico-legal policies and protocol for specimen handling, autopsy, and patient privacy are essential.
- Bachelors of Science or MLT with advanced level courses in anatomy and physiology
- Experience in Surgical Pathology specimen gross required
- Graduate of a PA training program preferred (Graduate of a NAACLS accredited PA Masters’ degree program preferred)
- Current CCCPA and/or ASCP certification or ability to certified required
- Knowledge of anatomy and physiology with special emphasis on the pathological presentation of disease
- Strong observational skills and exceptional attention to detail
- Ability to work effectively in a multi-functional group that includes medical personnel, other pathologists’ assistants, MLTs, lab assistants and clerical staff
- Working knowledge of standard safety precautions and good lab hygiene
- Working knowledge of safe chemical handling, storage protocols and emergency spill procedures
- Working knowledge of safe operation of hand or electrically driven saws
- Practical use of digital photography
- Experience with tissue sampling for the purpose of frozen section examination
- Computer literacy in windows based applications
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and problem recognition and problem solving skills
- Good interpersonal skills and good analytical skills
- Ability to work independently under minimal supervision
- Ability to work effectively as a team member
- Ability to demonstrate compassion and empathy when dealing with families of deceased
Why join UHN?
In addition to working alongside some of the most talented and inspiring healthcare professionals in the world, UHN offers a wide range of benefits, programs and perks. It is the comprehensiveness of these offerings that makes it a differentiating factor, allowing you to find value where it matters most to you, now and throughout your career at UHN.
- Competitive offer packages
- Government organization and a member of the Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP https://hoopp.com/)
- Close access to Transit and UHN shuttle service
- A flexible work environment
- Opportunities for development and promotions within a large organization
- Additional perks (multiple corporate discounts including: travel, restaurants, parking, phone plans, auto insurance discounts, on-site gyms, etc.)
Current UHN employees must have successfully completed their probationary period, have a good employee record along with satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN’s attendance management program, to be eligible for consideration.
Vaccines (COVID and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption on a medical ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their requirements known in advance. Any information received related to an accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
University Health Network thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.