National Logistics Services is currently looking for a full time Operations Supervisor (Transportation/Afternoon Shift) to support our thriving facility in the GTA.
National Logistics Services (NLS) is Canada’s leading logistics provider for fashion, footwear, actionwear and general merchandise. We have been delivering superior service to the retail industry since 1967. Our services extend to both distributed Brand retailers and retail chains alike, and in many instances, we manage these in the same campus to align complimentary business needs. Our facilities are located strategically in both Greater Toronto Area, ON and Vancouver, BC
Why work for NLS?
NLS is Canada’s leading Retail Logistics provider with over 50 years of continuously evolving retail expertise. Over the past 50 years, our team has built NLS to what it is now by treating each other with respect and working together to succeed. With dedication and experience, our people make a difference every day to our clients, our business and to each other.
Location: 2299 Hogan Drive, Mississauga, ON
The Operations Supervisor reports to the Transportation Manager and plays a key role in managing the day-to-day operational requirements for the business. They are responsible for leading the team by being a resource and the ‘go to’ person. They set the pace for the day, ensuring that Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) are followed and that Key Performance Indicators (KPI) are met or exceeded by their team. The hours of work are Monday to Friday, 12:00 pm to 8:00 pm (afternoon shift).
The Operations Supervisor is responsible but not limited to:
- Responsible for planning, organizing and controlling various activities relating to loading freight
- Monitor the loading process to determine conformance to loading patterns and to prevent shifting or damage to freight during transit
- Inspect loading operations to ensure the maximum use of space requirements, layouts and positioning of shipments
- Act on all noncompliance issues in a timely manner
- Monitor and ensure that freight is identified
- Manage staff and resources to maintain efficient handling of shipped freight
- Ensure a safe and hazard-free environment
- Responsible to ensure that the building is set up with the required number of trailers
- Responsible for the overall direction, coordination and evaluation of these units (trailers)
- Follow up with central dispatch to coordinate any special equipment needs and ensure all the proper equipment is in place as well as determining the required manpower
- Constant communication with the Forklift Operators, Dispatch, Yard Coordinator and Customs Help;
- Complete the daily door check sheet
- Responsible for the maintenance and inventory of all tarps, chains, binders, and ensure that worn tarps are red tagged
- Researching and investigating pros on the dock and in the system
- Perform electronic breakdowns with central dispatch using the scanner
- Operate the forklift when needed
- Assist dock workers when required
- Manifest the freight to the trailer and distribute pro bills and manifest to dispatch
- Plan loads to minimize freight handling
- Loading all outbound trailers
- Rescheduling unmanifested freight (shipment that did not move)
- Printing pro bills when required
- Responsible to ensure that the proper trailer is used for freight requiring heat or refrigerated products
- Provide tools to the dockworkers such as forklifts and trailers for them to perform their job function
- Monitor and ensure that staff follow work instructions and are in compliance with customer requirements and expectations
- Rewarding and disciplining employees, addressing complaints and resolving problems;
- Prepare and issue shift report to all relevant personnel
- Manage workload to ensure costs are in line with established set targets
- Enforce Health and Safety rules, policies and procedures and continuously instill a safe working environment so as to ensure the well being of all employees.
- Participate in projects and other duties as assigned
- Have Fun!
- 2-3 years of experience in the transportation industry in a similar role
- Demonstrated strong leadership with excellent interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of equipment and handling procedures within the trucking industry
- Forklift certificate
- Geographic knowledge of the areas we service
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Good communication skills
- Basic math skills
- Lead by example philosophy
- Computer literate. Experience with any TMS preferred
- Great organizational skills and ability to prioritize effectively & efficiently; ability to make sound decisions under pressure and to meet deadlines
- Minimum High School diploma; College diploma preferred
NLS welcomes diversity in the workplace and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including visible minorities, Aboriginal People, and persons with disabilities. NLS is committed to providing accommodation for people with disabilities. To request any accommodation you may require to participate in the recruitment process (including alternative formats of materials or accessible meeting rooms) contact Human Resources to discuss your needs.