University Health Network (UHN) is looking for an experienced professional to fill the key role of Marketing, Communications and Special Projects Manager in our Technology Development & Commercialization (TDC) Department.
Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning.
The University Health Network, where “above all else the needs of patients come first”, encompasses Toronto Rehabilitation Institute, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre and the Michener Institute of Education at UHN. The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of groundbreaking firsts and a purpose of “Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning”, the University Health Network (UHN), Canada’s largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,200 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing the world. Find out about our purpose, values and principles here.
UHN has a proud history of innovative research and important discoveries and considers innovation and the commercial development of our researchers to be integral to its purpose of transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning.
Technology Development & Commercialization (TDC) is the team at UHN that facilitates the translation of hospital research innovations into new medical products and technologies. As one of the most successful technology transfer offices in North America, we aspire to have significant impact aligned with UHN’s purpose, values and principles. Located at the heart of Toronto’s MaRS Discovery District, TDC professionals manage the intellectual property developed by research scientists and clinicians, and interact and work with industry partners and investors to maximize the value of the technology to improve world heath and sustain medical research.
- Develop strategies, lead and execute on general marketing efforts, and maintain and develop additional marketing materials and strategy in order to promote the TDC brand internally and externally, and identify new, and manage existing, marketing and licensing channels.
- Develop external communications strategy, lead and execute on external communications plans, including: creating and/or editing various forms of content e.g. media relations materials, key messaging, customer communications, web content, social, digital etc.
- Promote and strengthen a culture of superb customer engagement within TDC and entrepreneurial spirit across UHN.
- Manage the development of high profile reports and presentations for key internal and external stakeholder audiences.
- Manage educational and communication activities and initiatives in relation to commercialization across the organization.
- Execute strategic initiatives/special projects including planning, design, implementation, management and coordination by collaborating with stakeholders within as well as external to TDC, in order to enhance TDC’s operational performance. Major project areas include providing strategic advice to TDC Management Team as well as support for specific project planning, strategic and program planning and management and ad hoc data and information reporting related to areas such as business operations, deal flow, external and internal relations and marketing initiatives.
- Master’s degree or higher in health, science, business administration or recognized equivalent required
- At minimum, 3 years’ experience in creating, managing and executing on marketing and communications plans for a technology-related business, commercialization office, hospital/university, or similar for-profit, or not-for-profit corporation that involves business development activities, preferrably in the life sciences, or healthcare sector
- Experience in technology marketing and brand development with demonstrated ability to establish productive relationships with industry partners
- A strong (existing) network in Canada and the US is an asset including contacts within major press outlets
- Experience in event management and project management preferred
- Demonstrated strong collaboration, team building and client service skills
- Demonstrates strong leadership and motivational skills
- Effective organizational, interpersonal and outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent problem recognition, analyses and resolution skills
- Excellent decision making skills with the ability to form/defend independent judgement and to use good judgement in assessing difficult situations
- Ability to work effectively and demonstrates composure under pressure/stressful conditions and to meet multiple and competing deadlines
- Demonstrated knowledge of process improvement methodologies
- Exercises initiative and good judgement with ability to multi-task
- Adapts to and implements change and facilitates its acceptance by others
If you are interested in making your contribution at UHN, please apply on-line. You will be asked to copy and paste as well as attach your resume and covering letter. You will also be required to complete some initial screening questions.