Date Posted: 03/10/2021
Req ID: 3267
Department: Info. Technology Service
Campus: St. George (Downtown Toronto)
The University of Toronto Libraries (UTL) system is the largest academic library in Canada and is fourth among peer institutions in North America. The system consists of 42 libraries located on three university campuses: St. George, Mississauga, and Scarborough. This array of college libraries, special collections, and specialized libraries and information centres supports the teaching and research requirements of 300 graduate programs, over 70 professional programs, and more than 700 undergraduate degree programs. More than 150,000 new print volumes are acquired each year. The Libraries data centre houses more than 200 servers with a storage capacity of 1.5 petabytes.
The Manager, Technology Infrastructure and Staff Technology manages the technology infrastructure and staff support services of the University of Toronto central library system, which provide services to all University of Toronto library users, and enable the work of library staff. Reporting directly to the Associate Chief Librarian for Digital Strategies and Technology, and working closely with the Manager, Digital Library Applications, the incumbent ensures that UTL’s technology infrastructure and support services are cost-effective, user-focused, highly reliable, and well-maintained in alignment with strategic priorities.
The Manager, Technology Infrastructure provides leadership to the Technology Infrastructure and Support team to:
- Oversee the ongoing development and life-cycle management of the Libraries’ enterprise-grade integrated local and networked IT infrastructure and staff technology;
- Oversee the technology related components of the central Libraries’ Risk Management Program, ensuring that the Libraries’ digital assets and the researcher, institutional, user, and licensed data managed by the Libraries are held securely, in compliance with University policies and regulatory standards;
- Safeguard the integrity of the University of Toronto’s digital library assets through the secure management of system applications; library networks; digital library storage infrastructure; and enterprise-grade data backup and disaster recovery services
- Lead the teams that provide UTL technology infrastructure management and central library staff technology support.
The incumbent is responsible for full financial and HR management of these teams, including fulfilment of service delivery goals, the purchase of equipment and services that enable the team members to do their jobs, and full staff management and workload management responsibility. In addition, the Manager, IT Infrastructure will apply a thorough understanding and hands-on experience of all major components of an enterprise-grade IT infrastructure, to provide technical advice and training to their staff, and implement standards, guideline and procedures for all library staff in their use of technology.
By overseeing the architecture and operation of an enterprise-grade heavily virtualized technology infrastructure with both locally and cloud-hosted components, the Manager, IT infrastructure will play a major role in supporting and optimizing the activities of the Digital Library Applications team and the activities of all library staff and users that rely upon this infrastructure. The Manager, IT Infrastructure will be fully responsible for the operation of business-critical systems, including data backup and recovery systems that provide for the long-term availability of the University’s world-leading multi-million dollar digital library assets; a variety of security services and systems safeguarding these assets against theft and misuse; the Libraries multi-building physical network infrastructure, and a suite of core applications such as Microsoft Active Directory supporting all central Libraries staff.
The incumbent will work with the Scholars Portal Director and staff to ensure capacity planning, coordination and support of the shared infrastructure (local and networked) that supports digital library services to universities Canada-wide in conformance with service level agreements. She or he works collaboratively with IT leaders at the University and in peer institutions to plan, develop, and coordinate IT services and operations appropriately.
The incumbent will demonstrate an awareness and sensitivity to the values of inclusivity, diversity and accessibility. The incumbent will be responsible for a commitment to, and fostering of, these values within the Department.
- Graduate degree in computer science, business, science or information studies, or an acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience leading to an in-depth understanding of technology infrastructure in the networked higher education environment.
- At least eight (8) years of progressive experience in large organization’s technology infrastructure environment, preferably in an academic institution.
- Extensive current experience in planning, organizing, coordinating, and evaluating enterprise technology infrastructure and large-scale critical Information technology projects from conception through implementation and over the technology life cycle.
- Working knowledge of the policies, procedures, and organizational structures of the University of Toronto is an asset.
- Supervisory and mentoring experience in a unionized environment working with a diversely skilled technology infrastructure team.
- Strong competency in service level management, and protocols for information risk and risk management.
- Experience negotiating with service providers, establishing and monitoring service level agreements.
- Experience with enterprise technology infrastructure architecture and design or leadership experience in technology infrastructure development with clear evidence of a structured, architectural mindset.
- Project management or technical supervisory experience.
- Knowledge of best practices and methods for support of user technology.
- Knowledge of security techniques including risk analysis and disaster planning and prevention preferred.
- Excellent management, oral and written communications skills.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to work effectively with senior Library and University leadership, aligning operations to support the strategic goals of the Libraries
- Strong service-oriented approach.
- Excellent staff management, team leadership, and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to elicit cooperation from a wide variety of sources, including upper management, stakeholders and other divisions
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of all aspects of IT infrastructure and service delivery as applied to large-scale academic environments.
- Ability to plan, design, develop and oversee the implementation of highly available, complex and distributed IT technology and systems.
- Ability to develop and maintain leading-edge technical skills, and learn quickly in a self-directed fashion
- Ability to motivate and support staff in developing and maintaining leading-edge technical skills.
- Excellent financial management and budgeting/forecasting skills.
- Excellent program and project management skills; ability to conform to shifting priorities, demands and timelines through analytical and problem-solving capabilities.
- Proven people and relationship manager able to build an exceptional and dedicated team.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and in a collaborative team environment is essential.
- Strategic in approach to planning
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Highly developed skills in verbal and written communication, including effective presentation and facilitation skills
- Excellent time-management, prioritization, and multi-tasking skills
- Strong planning and organizational skills; strong analytical skills.
- Experience with budget management, grant applications and grant project management preferred.
Closing Date: 03/31/2021, 11:59PM ET Open Until Filled
Employee Group: Salaried
Appointment Type: Budget – Continuing
Pay Scale Group & Hiring Zone: PM 6 – Hiring Zone: $113,499 – $132,415 – Broadband Salary Range: $113,499 – $189,164
Job Category: Information Technology (IT)