University Health Network (UHN) is looking for an experienced professional to fill the key role of Manager, Research Program Development in our Krembil Brain Institute. The successful candidate will be the manager for EpLink, a multi-site Epilepsy Research Program of the Ontario Brain Institute https://eplink.ca.
Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning.
The University Health Network, where “above all else the needs of patients come first”, encompasses Toronto Rehabilitation Institute, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre and the Michener Institute of Education at UHN. The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of groundbreaking firsts and a purpose of “Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning”, the University Health Network (UHN), Canada’s largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,200 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing the world.
University Health Network (UHN) is a research hospital affiliated with the University of Toronto and a member of the Toronto Academic Health Science Network. The scope of research and complexity of cases at UHN have made it a national and international source for discovery, education and patient care. Research across UHN’s five research institutes spans the full spectrum of diseases and disciplines, including cancer, cardiovascular sciences, transplantation, neural and sensory sciences, musculoskeletal health, rehabilitation sciences, and community and population health. Find out about our purpose, values and principles here.
Functioning primarily as a research associate with management and planning responsibilities, the Manager, Research Program Development, is a key member of a scientific team who brings expertise in program development, building and managing project teams, and overseeing and planning the program’s budget. In addition, the Manager is a subject area expert, participating in project design and overseeing the collection and analyses of data and application of specific research methodologies. Key duties include: managing all administrative and operational matters for the program; developing work plans, identifying milestones, and monitoring progress of projects; implementing project communication plans; providing grant application support; developing progress reports; fostering relationships with collaborative partners and stakeholders (e.g. industry leaders, physicians, scientists, community support agencies, etc.); developing administrative and operational processes; working closely with program directors to implement and develop strategic and research program initiatives; administering contracts for collaborative research projects; supervising administrative staff; organizing and promoting events and Epilepsy Awareness Campaigns; chairing the fundraising committee; and developing and monitoring the program budget.
- At minimum, a completion of a Master’s degree in relevant discipline (e.g. health sciences, pharmacology, etc.)
- At minimum, five (5) years of relevant experience
- Five years in a program management/development role required
- Two years experience in supervising, mentoring staff required
- Experience in research program outcome analysis require
- Ability to perform duties in a professional and courteous manner and produce high quality work while meeting deadlines in accordance to UHN standards
- Exercise initiative and good judgement with ability to multi-task
- Compliance with confidentiality requirements
- Effective organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Knowledge of applicable legislative, UHN and/or departmental policies
- Client service oriented, with the ability to effectively work with diversity and appreciate that people with different opinions, backgrounds and characteristics bring richness to the challenge or situation at hand
- Excellent decision-making, problem solving and negotiation skills required
- Excellent conflict resolution, team building and interpersonal skills required
- Excellent organization and time management skills required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required
- Ability to communicate with clients at all levels of the organization required
- Demonstrated leadership and supervisory skills required
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines required
- Demonstrated data management expertise required
- Outstanding analytical skills required
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Windows, database and applications required
- Ability to quickly learn and use new analytical software required
If you are interested in making your contribution at UHN, please apply on-line. You will be asked to copy and paste as well as attach your resume and cover letter. You will also be required to complete some initial screening questions.