Date Posted: 11/15/2023
Req ID: 34968
Faculty/Division: Faculty of Arts & Science
Department: School of Cities
Campus: St. George (Downtown Toronto)
Position Number: 00036069
The Faculty of Arts & Science is the heart of Canada’s leading university and one of the most comprehensive and diverse academic divisions in the world. The strength of Arts & Science derives from our combined teaching and research excellence in the humanities, sciences and social sciences across 29 departments, seven colleges and 46 interdisciplinary centres, institutes and programs.
We can only realize our mission with the dedication and excellence of engaged staff and faculty. The diversity of opportunities and perspectives within the Faculty reflect the local and global landscape and the need for curiosity, innovative thinking and collaboration. At Arts & Science, we take pride in our legacy of innovation and discovery that has changed the way we think about the world.
The School of Cities at the University of Toronto is one of a kind, created to address the pressing issues facing urban areas to better cities and urban regions. Wetake advantage of being located in one of the world’s most culturally diverse, dynamic, and vibrant cities. As the innovation centre for the new science of cities, the School of Cities is a solutions incubator for urban-focused researchers, educators, students, practitioners and the general public to explore the complex global challenges facing urban centres. A living laboratory, the school leverages urban data and lived experience to improve policy and decision-making, and collaborates with city leaders around the world to make local decisions that have real impact.
Under the general direction of the Director, Institute on Municipal Finance and Governance, and reporting to the Executive Director of the School of Cities, the Manager, Programs and Research position takes a leadership role in the activities of the Institute, overseeing the Institute’s operations and designing major research programs in municipal finance and governance, as well as other projects. The Manager, Programs and Research position is responsible for the supervision of staff, working closely with authors to manage the production of publications, and establishing and sustaining relationships with stakeholders. In addition, the incumbent represents the Institute externally on high-level task forces and committees as required. The Institute on Municipal Finance and Governance focuses on the finance and governance issues faced by large cities and city-regions in Canada and abroad. It is the only institute in Canada that focuses solely on municipal finance and governance issues and on large cities and city-regions. It is also the only institute that works with students at the graduate level so that they have the expertise to work on municipal finance and governance issues in government and the private sector or to undertake further academic research.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Planning and implementing research activities that support publication projects
- Supporting research initiatives by overseeing the data collection and analysis processes
- Developing project schedules including milestones, critical path, timelines, deliverables andreporting
- Overseeing the production of promotional and marketing materials
- Developing components of programs and initiatives that advance strategic objectives
- Keeping well-informed on relevant research and publications
- Planning and estimating financial resources required for programs and/or projects
- Liaising with internal and external contacts to coordinate execution of seminars and workshops
- Master’s degree Economics, Political Science, Public Policy, Journalism, Urban Planning or acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience in planning, developing, and managing research programs and strategies, 3 years of which include: Experience in successfully undertaking research and/or framing research programs.
- Strong knowledge of urban finance and/or extensive research experience on cities is required.
- Proven experience in managing senior level relationships with government, private sector, and academic research institutes.
- Experience working with the University and federal, provincial, and municipal governments across Canada.
- Experience in drafting and editing plans, briefing documents, and reports.
- Experience supervising staff.
- Extensive research and project management experience.
- Experience with public speaking in the field of public finance and/or governance.
- Experience evaluating projects to ensure they meet objectives.
- Experience in overseeing the execution of high-profile events.
- Experience engaging with media to promote events, publications, or other products.
- Advanced computer literacy skills with Microsoft Office, conferencing apps, and collaboration tools.
- Creativity and strong communications skills to generate new approaches to building and promoting the programs of the Institute.
- Ability to create and sustain relationships with stakeholders, funders, partners, and authors, and media.
- Strong ability to work independently and to exercise a high degree of initiative, innovation, and good judgment in decision-making situations.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise professionalism, determination, tact, and discretion.
- Strong ability to identify and understand emerging issues as well as set and manage priorities.
- Exceptional ability to perform under pressure, multi-task, be proactive, and meet competing deadlines.
- Demonstrated technical knowledge of municipal finance
- Experience with WordPress, Mailchimp, InDesign, and social media platforms.
- Experience using statistical analysis programs (e.g., SPSS).
To be successful in this role you will be:
Closing Date: 11/24/2023, 11:59PM ET
Employee Group: USW
Appointment Type: Grant – Term
Pay Scale Group & Hiring Zone:
USW Pay Band 14 – $88,290 with an annual step progression to a maximum of $112,911. Pay scale and job class assignment is subject to determination pursuant to the Job Evaluation/Pay Equity Maintenance Protocol.
Job Category: Administrative / Managerial
Lived Experience Statement
Candidates who are members of Indigenous, Black, racialized and 2SLGBTQ+ communities, persons with disabilities, and other equity deserving groups are encouraged to apply, and their lived experience shall be taken into consideration as applicable to the posted position.
This is a term position until October 2025 with the possibility of renewal/extension.
This role is currently eligible for a hybrid work arrangement, pursuant to University policies and guidelines, including but not limited to the University of Toronto’s Alternative Work Arrangements Guideline.
Note: Occasional evenings and weekends will be required.