Manager, Nutrition Services
Job Posting #: 922369
Site: Toronto General, Toronto Western, Princess Margaret, Princess Margaret Lodge
Department: Nutrition Services
Reports to: Director, Nutrition Services
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Salary: Commensurate with experience and consistent with UHN compensation policy
Status: Permanent Full-Time
Posted Date: July 13th, 2023
Closing Date: Until Filled
The University Health Network, where “above all else the needs of patients come first”, encompasses Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, Toronto Rehabilitation Institute and the Michener Institute of Education. The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of ground-breaking firsts and a purpose of “Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning”, the University Health Network (UHN), Canada’s largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,200 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing the world.
UHN is seeking a dynamic, engaging Manager, Nutrition Services who has a proven track record of improving patient satisfaction and fostering a positive workplace culture that delivers outcomes. The Manager is responsible and accountable for the delivery of patient meals, snacks, and enteral nutrition at Toronto General, Toronto Western, Princess Margaret, and Princess Margaret Lodge, ensuring quality and exemplary service. This individual is a leader and mentor for the Nutrition Services Department, UHN, and the profession.
- Manages all aspects of patient meal delivery at Toronto General, Toronto Western, Princess Margaret Hospitals, and Princess Margaret Lodge to ensure the effective and efficient utilization of resources to meet quality, satisfaction, and service expectations, regulatory requirements, food safety standards, budget, and the changing needs of the department and UHN;
- Lead, manage, coach, and mentor a team of 70+ employees across 4 sites including supervisors and frontline employees in patient food services;
- Fosters a culture of service excellence and inclusion within the department;
- Engages employees to have a voice in decision making;
- Investigates and proposes initiatives to enhance all aspects of patient experience with Nutrition Services including food quality, menu selection, and bedside service in collaboration with key stakeholders and department leadership. This requires developing, establishing, implementing and evaluating short and long-range operational plans based on patient needs consistent with the policies, goals, mission, and vision of UHN and Nutrition Services;
- Maintain responsibility for the management of quality improvement and risk management programs for Nutrition Services, including establishing and maintaining standards, measurement and trending of performance and satisfaction metrics, examining problem areas, implementing solutions and documenting process and outcome;
- Plans and develops annual budgets, capital requests, and business cases in alignment with department and organizational priorities;
- Manage and coordinate the practicum placements for Master’s of Public Health, Nutrition and Dietetics and/or Food and Nutrition Management students;
- Ensures a safe working environment including infection control, universal precautions, disaster preparedness, fire safety practices, and general safety;
- Establishes effective internal and external communication channels that enhance the profile of the department;
- Performs cross-functional duties as assigned and/or required.
- Completion of an undergraduate degree program in a 4-year Dietitians of Canada accredited university Food and Nutrition program or recognized equivalent is required;
- Successful completion of one of the four following programs is required:
- Dietitians of Canada accredited Comprehensive Post-Graduate Dietetic Internship Program
- Combined Masters/Internship Practicum Program
- Integrated/Co-ordinated Undergraduate Program
- Ryerson Internationally Educated Dietitians Pre-Registration Program
- Registration with the College of Dietitians of Ontario and Dietitians of Canada (DC), required;
- Minimum five (5) years related experience managing patient food service and institutional food production required;
- A patient-focused leader with a proven track record of challenging the status quo and leading your team to improve and sustain quality, patient satisfaction with meal service, and operational flow;
- Demonstrated ability to lead, motivate, coach, and develop your team during times of change and shifting priorities;
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills – both verbal and written – with ability to effectively work with diversity; appreciates that people with different opinions, backgrounds and characteristics bring richness to the situation at hand;
- Experienced project manager with demonstrated ability to meet multiple and competing deadlines;
- Superior business acumen and financial management skills;
- Current with the latest innovative trends in patient food delivery and service models;
- Working knowledge of cold plating and hot meal assembly as well as bulk and tray retherm systems is required;
- Proficient computer skills including Microsoft Office and Outlook applications; CBORD experience a strong asset;
- Related experience at a Managerial level working in a large unionized healthcare organization an asset;
- Experience managing and leading teams within a complex multi-site matrix is an asset;
- Master’s of Business Administration, an asset.
Why join UHN?
In addition to working alongside some of the most talented and inspiring healthcare professionals in the world, UHN offers a wide range of benefits, programs and perks. It is the comprehensiveness of these offerings that makes it a differentiating factor, allowing you to find value where it matters most to you, now and throughout your career at UHN.
- Competitive offer packages
- Government organization and a member of the Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP https://hoopp.com/)
- Close access to Transit and UHN shuttle service
- A flexible work environment
- Opportunities for development and promotions within a large organization
- Additional perks (multiple corporate discounts including: travel, restaurants, parking, phone plans, auto insurance discounts, on-site gyms, etc.)
Current UHN employees must have successfully completed their probationary period, have a good employee record along with satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN’s attendance management program, to be eligible for consideration.
Vaccines (COVID and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption on a medical ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their requirements known in advance. Any information received related to an accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
University Health Network thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.