JOB POSTING #907714
University Health Network (UHN) is looking for an experienced professional to fill the key role of Library Technician in our Patient & Family Learning Centres.
The Energy of the City. The Rewards of a Great Career.
The University Health Network, where “above all else the needs of patients come first”, encompasses Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, Toronto Rehabilitation Institute and the Michener Institute of Education at UHN. The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of groundbreaking firsts and a purpose of “Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning”, the University Health Network (UHN), Canada’s largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,200 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing the world. Find out about our purpose, values and principles here.
UHN Patient & Family Learning Centres are hiring a temporary full-time Library Technician for a 6 months contract. As part of the Patient Experience / Engagement Portfolio, Patient & Family Learning Centres strive to improve the patient experience by providing high-quality health information and support with digital health literacy. The Patient and Family Learning Centres offer essential resources for patients, families, and staff. As a central hub for vetted, timely health information, the Learning Centres are crucial to providing personalized health information and improving the patient experience across the care continuum.
As an integral member of the Patient & Family Learning Centres team, the Library technician, under the direction of the Librarian, actively oversees the administrative, operational, and technical activities of the Patient and Family Learning Centres. The principal responsibilities include daily operations of UHN Learning Centres, providing customer service, participating in resource processing, performing cataloguing duties, and providing customized health information searches. This role includes performing cross-functional responsibilities as assigned or requested and performing other duties consistent with the job classification as required. This is a junior, entry-level position and is ideal for someone who is interested in health librarianship.
- Provides exceptional customer service at the Patient Library front desk (TG and/or TW). Meets and greets library customers, identifies their information needs, and provides prompt assistance. The assistance includes providing customers with reliable health information, promoting available digital resources and services, and connecting patients with appropriate services at UHN or in the community.
- Conducts information consults and provides consumer health reference services to patients, families, members of the public, and healthcare professionals to support patient education and health literacy
- Supports patients and families in navigating hospital spaces and systems; provides referrals to other departments or community agencies as appropriate
- Supports collection development and acquisition process; performs cataloguing duties
- Facilitates a safe, shame and blame-free environment for all patrons; prioritizes patient and worker safety
- Consistently demonstrates strong interpersonal and communication skills that demonstrate compassion, empathy, patience, and respect for colleagues, patients, family members, and caregivers
- Ensures that the library technology equipment is in order and contact digital support when needed
- Performs cataloguing duties under the supervision of the Librarian
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment; strong time management skills and excellent organizational, and planning skills
- Assists library patrons in accessing digital resources
- Assists in managing social media accounts
- Participates in self-directed and directed cross-functional task groups or teams to achieve the Library’s and UHN’s goals and objectives
- At minimum, completion of a 2 year community college program in Library & Information Technician diploma or recognized equivalent
- Minimum 1 year related experience
- Demonstrated tact, discretion, judgment and commitment to excellence
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Detail-oriented, excellent time management and problem solving skill
- Self-motivated and able to work independently and as part of a team
- Proficiency in Internet, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Knowledge of personal digital devices and digital platforms is an asset
- Knowledge of social media platforms is an asset
- Knowledge of graphic design and/or video-editing platform is an asset
- Library reference experience, preferably in a health related environment, is an asset
POSTED DATE: October 6, 2022 CLOSING DATE: October 20, 2022
For current UHN employees, only those who have successfully completed their probationary period, have a good employee record along with satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN’s attendance management program, and possess all the required experience and qualifications will be given first consideration.
University Health Network thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity and welcomes all applicants including but not limited to: all religions and ethnicities, LGBTQ2s+, BIPOC, persons with disabilities and all others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the Bona-fide requirements for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.
For more information about UHN, do visit www.uhn.ca