CUPE JOB POSTING #893318 – ONGOING POSTING
Site: TORONTO GENERAL/TORONTO WESTERN
Department: LINEN & LAUNDRY
Reports To: SUPERVISOR
Hours: VARIOUS AS REQUIRED
The LAUNDRY SORTER/WASHER performs general and specific duties in accordance with Linen & Laundry Department standards of practice, policies and procedures.
The principal responsibilities include:
- Unloading carts of clean linen; loading carts of soiled linen onto the trailers.
- Delivering carts of clean linen to patient units/clinics, loading bags of soiled linen onto carts and transporting carts for return to service provider for laundering.
- Counting previous days unused linen and adjusting the linen orders in accordance with par levels.
- Stocking any special linen requests.
- Washing, drying and folding scrubs, curtains, slings and other washable items in industrial washers and dryers.
- Restock the Scrubex dispensing machines with clean scrubs and remove scrubs for laundering.
- TG Only – transporting carts will require successful completion of a tow motor training course and licensing which is provided by UHN.
- TW Only –restock the alEx linen dispensing machines with clean linens (i.e., sheets, towels) on the patient care units and Emergency Department.
- Following all Infection Prevention and Control procedures including hand washing and isolation procedures.
- Wearing gloves, isolation gowns, masks (surgical and N95), eye protection, and other Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) while carrying out duties as required.
- Cleaning and disinfecting equipment with bleach and other cleaning chemicals in accordance with training and procedures while while wearing required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Performing cross-functional duties as assigned and/or required.
- Performing other duties consistent with the job classification, as assigned and/or required.
- At minimum completion of high school or recognized equivalent required.
- Ability to successfully complete tow motor training program and obtain license to safely transport linen carts (Toronto General only)
- Less than 3 months practical and related experience and/or less than 1 month on the job training required
- Ability to be on feet (standing and walking) for long periods of time required
- Ability to push/pull carts weighing up to 23kgs required
- Simple mathematical calculations (adding & subtracting) skills required.
- Ability to perform duties in a professional and courteous manner and produce high quality work while meeting deadlines in accordance to UHN standards.
- Exercise initiative and good judgment with ability to multi-task.
- Effective organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Knowledge of applicable legislative, UHN and/or departmental policies.
- Client service oriented, with the ability to effectively work with diversity and appreciate that people with different opinions, backgrounds and characteristics bring richness to the challenge or situation at hand.
- Must be able to meet the physical demands of the job: pushing, pulling & maneuver heavy (up to 23kgs) linen cart safely, driving a tow motor.
- May be required to work at multiple areas as well as rotating shifts in emergency situations
- Vaccines (COVID-19 and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption on a medical ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
For current UHN employees, only those who have successfully completed their probationary period, have a good employee record along with satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN’s attendance management program, and possess all the required experience and qualifications should apply.
University Health Network thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the Bona-fide for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.