Date Posted: 09/12/2022
Req ID: 27248
Faculty/Division: Temerty Faculty of Medicine
Department: Donnelly Centre
Campus: St. George (Downtown Toronto)
Position Number: 00052930
Home to over 40 departments and institutes, the University of Toronto’s Temerty Faculty of Medicine lies at the heart of the Toronto Academic Health Science Network and is a global leader in ground-breaking research and education, spanning clinical medicine, basic science and the rehabilitation sciences sectors.
The Donnelly Centre for Cellular and Biomolecular Research is an interdisciplinary research institute where scientists make fundamental discoveries in biology to improve health. Our faculty, staff and trainees come from various fields of science and collaborate to develop and apply cutting-edge tools in genome research, regenerative medicine and computational biology, ultimately to gain new insights about how the human body works. Founded in 2005, the Centre is globally recognized as a leading biomedical research hub thanks to our researchers’ landmark discoveries in genetics, stem cells and the molecular basis of disease, as well as state-of-the-art tools in analysis of large- scale datasets.
As a Laboratory Technician, you will join an enthusiastic and diverse team of scientists, applying large-scale functional proteomics and genomics tools to understand how the human protein homeostasis network is organized and how it contributes to diseases. You will ensure the laboratory’s smooth operation including maintaining equipment and inventory, and following established laboratory rules, processes and standards when carrying out assigned responsibilities. You will perform routine molecular biology wet lab techniques, including cloning, preparation of DNA, bacterial culture, and cell line production and maintenance. You will useyour strong communication and organizational skills to provide exceptional service to our dynamic and collaborative environment
Your responsibilities will include:
- Applying established standards when preparing routine samples for research projects and/or experiments
- Applying established standards when selecting and preparing equipment for routine laboratory experiments and/or assays
- Collecting experimental data, verifying results and passing on findings
- Maintaining inventory of glass and dishware, workstations, chemicals and/or apparatus within the lab
- Performing routine data entry
- Responding to enquiries within the defined scope of the role and redirecting as appropriate
- Recommending the purchase of equipment and supplies
- Providing orientation to others on work procedures and practices
- Bachelor’s Degree in Science or acceptable combination of equivalent experience
- Minimum one year relevant experience with molecular and cellular biology techniques
- Familiar with recombinant DNA techniques in both bacterial and mammalian systems, PCR, enzymatic digests, preparation of microbiological growth media, growth and handling of E. coli and plasmid DNA
- Experience with mammalian tissue culture techniques, including transgene delivery (transfection, infection), and cell viability assays
- Experience in the maintenance and operation of standard laboratory equipment.
- Experience in working with high throughput laboratory equipment, including liquid handling robots and plate fillers, washers, and readers
- Experience with cell sorting using flow cytometry
- Ability to prepare and pour media and solutions and successfully culture bacterial cells with sterile technique
- Must be familiar with biohazard level 2 pathogen handling, disposal and record keeping of human pathogens (i.e.lentivirus)
- Experience with established molecular biology standards and written protocols.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite Applications (e.g. Word, PowerPoint, Outlook and Excel)
- Excellent manual dexterity required.
- Strong analytical, organizational, and record-keeping skills
- Solid team player with excellent interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written)
To be successful in this role you will be:
- Team player
This is a one (1) year term position.
Closing Date: 09/23/2022, 11:59PM ET
Employee Group: USW
Appointment Type: Budget – Term
Pay Scale Group & Hiring Zone:
USW Pay Band 06 – $50,124 with an annual step progression to a maximum of $64,099. Pay scale and job class assignment is subject to determination pursuant to the Job Evaluation/Pay Equity Maintenance Protocol.
Job Category: Engineering / Technical
Recruiter: Rebecca Cho
Lived Experience Statement
Candidates who are members of Indigenous, Black, racialized and 2SLGBTQ+ communities, persons with disabilities, and other equity deserving groups are encouraged to apply, and their lived experience shall be taken into consideration as applicable to the posted position.