The Service Desk Technician is to ensure proper computer operation so that end users can accomplish business tasks. This includes receiving, documenting, and actively resolving end user help requests that are assigned through IT Works Co. ticketing system.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. (Other duties may be assigned).
- Follow assigned schedule of service request tickets daily.
- Build rapport and elicit problem details from customers.
- Escalate problems (when required) to the appropriately experienced technician.
- Record, track, and document the customer service request problem-solving process, including all successful and unsuccessful decisions made, and actions taken, through to final resolution.
- Apply diagnostic utilities to aid in troubleshooting.
- Access software updates, drivers, knowledge bases, and frequently asked questions resources on the Internet to aid in problem resolution.
- Identify and learn appropriate software and hardware used and supported by the organization.
- Perform hands-on fixes at the desktop level, including installing and upgrading software, installing hardware, implementing file backups, and configuring systems and applications.
- Performing preventative maintenance, including checking and cleaning of workstations, printers, and peripherals.
- Test fixes to ensure problem has been adequately resolved.
- Perform post-resolution follow-ups to help requests.
- Evaluate documented resolutions and analyze trends for ways to prevent future problems.
- Assess hardware, software and network needs to ensure effective and efficient computer operations are achieved.
- Participate in rotating on call duties – approx. one week per month.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Customer Service – Displays courtesy and sensitivity; Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Meets commitments; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service;
Analytical Skills – Collects and researches data; Designs workflows and procedures; Identifies data relationships and dependencies; Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Uses intuition and experience to complement data.
Problem Solving – Develops alternative solutions; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Identifies problems in a timely manner; Resolves problems in early stages; Works well in group problem solving situations.
Use of Technology – Adapts to new technologies; demonstrates required skills; Keeps technical skills up to date; Troubleshoots technological problems; Uses technology to increase productivity.
Planning & Organization – Integrates changes smoothly; Plans for additional resources; Prioritizes and plans work activities; Sets goals and objectives; Uses time efficiently; Works in an organized manner.
Communications – Exhibits good listening and comprehension; Expresses ideas and thoughts in written form; Expresses ideas and thoughts verbally; Keeps others adequately informed; Selects and uses appropriate communication methods.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Bachelor’s degree (B. A.) from a university or college degree; or 5+ years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have experience and proficiency with the following:
- Strong analytical skills
- Enthusiastic attitude and confidence
- Team player
- Expert level experience of Windows 7/8/10
- Active Directory experience (including promoting/demoting controllers, managing Active Directory DNS, FSMO roles, etc)
- Microsoft MCSE, MCITP, and/or equivalent
- Experience automating repetitive tasks with scripting with one or more of the following technologies and/or equivalent: (batch files, PowerShell, VBScript, WMI, etc)
- Experience troubleshooting firewalls
- System performance tuning, trending, and analysis
- Application & OS security including virus scan management
- Basic understanding of network protocols (TCP/IP, UDP, SNMP, SMTP, DHCP, and DNS), hardware & software network security, and name services
- Experience with management and monitoring tools, Remote Desktop Services (Terminal Services), experience with network attached storage devices, SANs, and Linux-Windows server system interoperability
- Experience with VMWare and/or Hyper-V is required
- Microsoft Office Suites
- Microsoft Exchange
- Office 365
- Microsoft Exchange (creating, editing mailboxes) Office 365 administration
- Vendor management (email, hosting, DNS)
- Ability to learn quickly and tackle new and technically complex problems with courage and tenacity
- If you have experience with Connectwise and/or Kaseya, LabTech please note that in your cover letter
- If you have worked for an IT firm, MSP, etc, please put that in your cover letter
This position requires driving to and from client sites as needed therefore employee must possess and maintain a valid drivers’ license and reliable transportation.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $50,000.00 to $60,000.00 /year
- IT Support: 3 years (Preferred)