The role of the Operations Intern is to support the Distribution Centres Operations team by assisting Supervision with the planning and execution of assigned tasks to the unionized workforce. The incumbent works with teams from different operations and transportation departments, participates in projects, attends team meetings, assists in creating Standard Operating Practices (SOP) guides, collects, processes, and maintains the integrity of data in the inventory system. The hours available are for the afternoon shift.
Operations and Productivity Management
- Assist in Targeting key classification for productivity improvement
- Assist in planning daily labour requirements according to forecasts, promotions and monitor
- Target key data processes for optimization
- Assist with shipping and receiving functions in the facility
- Ensure efficiency in flow of products through the facility
- Investigate, identify and reconcile any inventory discrepancies to ensure physical and systematic accuracy.
- Integrate and Optimize the use of IT tools in the department to
- Validate system parameters
- Track and Analyze deviations
- Optimize productivity and operations
- Complete various daily and weekly reports
Health and Safety and Labour Relations
- Assist in understanding all health and workplace safety standards
- Assist in observing the unionized workforce to promote Safe Work Methods
- Collaborate with the JHSC and other parties to proactively rectify safety concerns
- Lead by example and drive a positive and collaborative Health and Safety culture
- Understand and comply the provisions of the collective agreement in force
Customer Service Management
- Assist in performing daily Outbound store audits
- Pallet condition
- Store orders Correct and Complete
- Seek to understand Customer needs and demonstrate Customer Focus
- Assist to identify and Challenge/Validate 1 to 3 DC processes for improvement.
- Assist in creating standard operating procedures linked to Health and Safety, sanitation and operations.
- Knowledge of Lean Six Sigma practices would be an asset
- Graduated within 1 year or currently enrolled in an applicable post-secondary program – Supply Chain Management, Business, Engineering an asset
- Demonstrate ability to potentially manage small teams, detail oriented, strong problem-solving skills
- Excellent analytical and mathematical skills.
- SAP knowledge would be an asset
- MS Office and Excel intermediate/advanced required
- Ability to work flexible shifts and/or hours
- Work under pressure in a fast-paced environment and demonstrate ability to multitask
- High attention to detail
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Adaptable to contingencies
- Team player
Metro is dedicated to fostering a diverse work environment. We will consider all qualified applicants for employment.
Applicants that meet the qualifications will be contacted for an interview.
Metro is committed to accommodating applicants and employees with disabilities. Should you require accommodation or this job description to be available in an accessible format, please advise.