Date Posted: 05/09/2023
Req ID: 31195
Faculty/Division: Faculty of Arts & Science
Department: ARTSC: Ofc of the Dean – Administrative Human Resource Services
Campus: St. George (Downtown Toronto)
The Faculty of Arts & Science is the heart of Canada’s leading university and one of the most comprehensive and diverse academic divisions in the world. The strength of Arts & Science derives from our combined teaching and research excellence in the humanities, sciences and social sciences across 29 departments, seven colleges and 46 interdisciplinary centres, institutes and programs.
We can only realize our mission with the dedication and excellence of engaged staff and faculty. The diversity of opportunities and perspectives within the Faculty reflect the local and global landscape and the need for curiosity, innovative thinking and collaboration. At Arts & Science, we take pride in our legacy of innovation and discovery that has changed the way we think about the world.
Under the general direction of the Director, the incumbent is responsible for assisting with the provision of human resources services and administrative support in such areas as: recruitment, job evaluation, salary administration, labour relations, re-organizations and layoffs, employment practices and legislation, and the interpretation and application of staff policies and collective agreements. The incumbent will provide timely and accurate information on administrative human resource related issues to academic and administrative managers in the Faculty of Arts & Science, refer more complex/problematic matters to, and work with the Director on resolutions.
The incumbent is also responsible for establishing, maintaining and improving a number of internal human resources processes and systems required in the management of administrative human resources. They will provide guidance and support with drafting new or revised job descriptions, assists with the drafting of job postings, interview questions, conducting reference checks and job audits. The incumbent will also act as the point person for various HR projects, systems, oversee the coordination of annual HR processes, and maintain/update various departmental HR documents, processes and databases.
This role is currently eligible for a hybrid work arrangement, pursuant to University policies and guidelines, including but not limited to the University of Toronto’s Alternative Work Arrangements Guideline.
- University degree with post-graduate education in HR (completed or CHRP in-progress), or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Three years related experience, preferably in a post-secondary or research-intensive institution.
- Experience with databases and various HR systems and compiling and analyzing complex human resources information.
- Knowledge of human resources policies, best practices, employment legislation and collective agreements.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret and apply policy and legislation.
- Superior Excel skills including the ability to use advanced functions.
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft 365, including Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Strong HRIS skills and numeracy skills.
- Excellent problem-solving, organizational, prioritization, analytical and proven administrative skills.
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written).
- Ability to deal with academic and administrative managers in a manner which facilitates cooperation.
- Ability to work independently with a high degree of initiative, discretion and tact.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Proven ability to keep sensitive information confidential.
- Effective team player.
Closing Date: 05/31/2023, 11:59PM ET
Employee Group: Salaried
Appointment Type: Budget – Continuing
Pay Scale Group & Hiring Zone: PM 1 – Hiring Zone: $67,716 – $79,002 – Broadband Salary Range: $67,716 – $112,858
Job Category: People Strategy, Equity & Culture