Joining our team has its advantages!
- Flexible schedule to promote work/life balance
- Telecommuting in hybrid mode
- Group insurance from the first day
- Very competitive pension plan
- Generous holiday policy
- Personal days
- Employee Assistance Program
- Free parking
- Opportunity for professional development
The Senior Payroll Clerk is responsible and accountable for processing payroll in a timely and accurate manner in compliance with Company Policies, Collective Agreement and Government Legislation. The incumbent is responsible for timely process and updating of the Distribution Centre employees master data and weekly payroll. The encumbent is also responsible for maintaining the daily databases for Kronos. This position interacts extensively with internal and external customers addressing any inquiries, via phone, e-mail, virtual or personally. The Senior Payroll Clerk creates daily reports to ensure effective communication with the Operations team in the Distribution Centres.
- Process and balance the hourly payroll for the unionized full and part time employees for assigned Distribution Centre. Assist PT HR Clerk with labour sheet keying during peak times or absence relief.
- Key & Set up new hires/rehires in SAP & Kronos, Badge & I-Whse Ctrix programs. Maintain the employee records (permanent award changes, temporary postings, terminations, Social Insurance Number updates, etc). Adjust pay rules & work schedules in Kronos.
- Process vacation payments for full time employees while maintaining vacation charts and book. Annual audit to clear up rebookings or payout.
- Create & distribute personal day and statutory holiday forms to each DC location for the employees. Process payments accordingly, ensuring accurate record keeping in vacation book & Kronos.
- Create PT Stat holiday calculation and upload template.
- Process and calculate sick pay entitlement for unionized full time employees under a strict deadline, as per CBA. Note if employee on LTD & new medical received must up load to Desjardins portal.
- Prepare & issue LTD letters & supporting paperwork, sent to employed. Once returned, forward to benefits dept to upload to Desjardins & include employer letter.
- Ensure that job premiums, as set out in the Collective Agreement, are paid on a daily basis.
- Investigate payroll inquiries and process adjustments accordingly, utilizing tools such as SAP, Kronos. Request EXE, LMS or WMS back ups if needed. If required, calculate cash advance; prepare cheque, setup deduction & arrange for employee to receive. Update adjustment & deduction in SAP.
- Print & distribute manual pay stubs for the Distribution Centres, ensuring that adjustments and or cash advances have been processed correctly. Ensure that pay stubs are distributed in a timely manner to the appropriate location.
- Perform monthly union due audit for Full Time employees. This report indicates employees that need to have their union dues stopped or started. Enter changes in SAP.
- Pension audit keying (SNP-sick no pay) in SAP weekly for FT employees only. Ensure on-time for January as pension dept requires for T4. Assist with attendance research annually for queries after pension statements are released to FT union employees.
- Update systems with status changes, terminations, leave of absences and address/phone number changes, work schedule changes.
- Prepare & print new employee badges or if damaged or lost. For lost cards, set up replacement fee for deduction from pay. Ensure signed off form received from employee first.
- Saturday/Sunday routine includes auditing week, scrolling records in Kronos and daily and weekly balancing of payroll. Send out a variety of reports to operations, Labour/HR & Finance.
- Audit Emergency Leave of Absence forms once signed off by Team Leader or HR Supervisor. This includes updating records in Kronos and SAP. Update tracking report in Team Leader’s absence.
- Upon request, issue letters of employment to employees in support of third-party requests (i.e., mortgage applications, loan applications, immigration paperwork, etc.). Confirmation of employment may later be required by these parties via phone.
- Lawyer Letter requests, ie. Motor Vehicle accidents. Follow standard process in SOP.
- Assist HR Supervisor/Manager with departmental projects as required.
- Process Grievance, pre-grievance & occasional arbitration settlements for Toronto & Ottawa DCs.
- Upon request from Labour Relations, HR Supervisor/Manager, research employment or payroll information as required.
- Run SAP payrate changes for Toronto & Ottawa as back up to Team leader.
- File Management: created new files, move term files & maintain confidential medical files.
- Convert vacation polling charts to on-line vacation book.
- Assist with projects or testing of systems as requested
- Minimum of 2 years of College
- CHRP and or CPM (HR or payroll certification) is an asset.
- 1 – 3 years relevant work experience
- Good oral and written communication skills including good interpersonal skills.
- Solid mathematical and calculator skills. Strong computer skills. Knowledge of Kronos and SAP is an asset.
- Must have a good working knowledge of MS Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel)
- Flexibility to work weekends, statutory holidays and extra days for vacation/absence relief, based on the needs of the business.
- Professional at all times and maintain utmost confidentiality of employee information and records.
- Ability to interpret and understand Collective Agreements, Company policies and relevant Government legislation.
- Must be able to prioritize and multi-task, as the incumbent must adhere to strict deadlines with constant interruptions.
- Must be able to problem-solve and work independently.
- Distribution Centre Departments (Operations, Human Resources, IT, Health & Safety, Finances and Labour Relations)
- Union employees.
- Vendors: Insurance companies, banks, lawyers, and Government offices.
Metro values, respects and leverages the differences and competences of all employees from a variety of different backgrounds. We will consider all qualified applicants for employment.