JOB POSTING #900029- ONGOING POSTING
HOURS: MUST BE AVAILABLE FOR DAY, EVENING, AND NIGHT SHIFTS INCLUDING ON WEEKENDS AND STAT HOLIDAYS
The HOSPITAL ASSISTANT performs general and specific duties in accordance with Patient Transportation Department standards of practice, policies and procedures.
The principal responsibilities include:
- Transporting patients by wheelchair, stretcher or bed to various locations for tests and other procedures, as per established schedule or as requested. These locations include patient rooms, departments for tests like x-rays, CT scan, MRI, to procedures like endoscopies, and the emergency department. Transporting patients who have passed away to the morgue.
- Assisting to transfer patients between beds, stretchers, and wheelchairs under the direction of clinical staff.
- Responding immediately with specialized equipment when a patient is being resuscitated or in medical distress.
- Picking up and delivering specimens. blood products, supplies, dirty/soiled instruments, equipment and other miscellaneous items to various locations, as per established schedule or as requested.
- Using a mobile device to accept, start, and complete assigned tasks.
- Monitoring and replenishing medical and other supplies to ensure the department has sufficient quantity on hand.
- Following all Infection Prevention and Control procedures including hand washing and isolation procedures.
- Wearing gloves, isolation gowns, masks (surgical and N95), eye protection, and other Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) while carrying out duties as required.
- Cleaning and disinfecting stretchers, wheelchairs, pumps, IV poles and other patient handling equipment with bleach and other cleaning chemicals in accordance with training and procedures while while wearing required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Performing cross-functional duties as assigned and/or required.
- Performing other duties consistent with the job classification, as assigned and/or required.
- At minimum completion of high school or recognized equivalent
- 3 months to less than 6 months practical and related experience and/or 3 months to less than 6months on the job training
- Ability to read, write and speak English fluently to understand verbal work orders and/or instructions.
- Must be able to read/understand short notes and brief forms to read invoices, orders and memos.
- Ability to do simple mathematical calculations (e.g. adding, subtracting, etc.).
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the job including: pushing/pulling case carts; pushing/pulling patients in beds/wheelchairs weighing greater than 20 kg; lifting bins; pushing pumps.
- Knowledge of Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (W.H.M.I.S.)
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health & Safety Act and other relevant legislation.
- Ability to perform duties in a professional and courteous manner and produce high quality work while meeting deadlines in accordance to UHN standards.
- Exercise initiative and good judgment with ability to multi-task.
- Effective organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Knowledge of applicable legislative, UHN and/or departmental policies.
- Casual staff must be available for all shifts (Days, Evenings, Nights) on weekdays, weekends, and stat holidays and are assigned to work in all areas of the department
- Client service oriented, with the ability to effectively work with diversity and appreciate that people with different opinions, backgrounds and characteristics bring richness to the challenge or situation at hand.
- Vaccines (COVID-19 and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption on a medical ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
If you are interested in making your contribution at UHN, please apply on-line. You will be asked to copy and paste as well as attach your resume and covering letter. You will also be required to complete some initial screening questions.
University Health Network thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the Bona-fide requirements for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements