Employment Status: Regular, Full Time (1.0 FTE)
Program Name: Home & Community Care
Number of Hours Bi-Weekly: 75
Work Schedule: Days
Health Information Specialist is responsible for assembling, researching, investigating, retrieving and assimilating client information in the electronic tool. The Health Information Specialist ensures that the records are maintained and protected in accordance with VON policies and procedures.
- Prepares charts in a timely and efficient manner on a daily basis.
- Ensures electronic and paper client health records are complete, accurate, up-to-date and accessible when required
- Completes regular chart audits with respect to quantity and quality of information in the charts through Client Health Record Quality Audits
- Reports on results of audits and makes recommendations to improve quality of client health records/charts.
- Ensures client data in Procura matches client data on the charts
- Ensures charts include required consents in compliance with provincial legislation.
- Ensures retention and destruction of Health Records, including the management of files.
- Processes requests for access to health records by clients, legal representatives and professional colleges in conjunction with the management team and in compliance with provincial legislation, regulations and guidelines.
- Maintains an orderly, confidential, and safe work environment.
- Attends and participates in meetings as assigned.
- Performs other duties, as may be required.
External and Internal Relationships:
- Collaborates with Client Service Associates, clinical resources and cross functional team as needed to ensure quality of care/service to the client.
- Engages with legal representatives, clients and client family members.
Education, Designations and Experience:
- Post- secondary education from recognized Health Information Management Program
- Certified with Canadian College of Health Information Management, must be an active member.
- Minimum 2 years of related experience working in a health records department or medical office environment.
- Proficiency with Windows, Microsoft Office and general Health Information Systems is required.
- Working knowledge of Procura is an asset.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work independently and effectively on a variety of high-priority projects with competing deadlines with a high degree of accuracy.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal, and the ability to interact effectively with all levels of the organization and members of the public.
- Demonstrated knowledge of provincial legislation, regulation and guidelines and funder requirements with respect to client consents and collection and release of client information.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to change and effectively function in a busy office environment.
- Must have personal vehicle and possess both a current driver’s license and proof of vehicle
- Current and original copy of a satisfactory Criminal Records Check is required
- Willingness to travel regularly during the day.
- The use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) may be required
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: fast-paced environment; attention to detail; lift and carry using appropriate lifting techniques; walk, sit, stand, and climb stairs; grip and fine hand movements.
VON Canada is committed to meeting the needs of persons with disabilities and to providing accessibility accommodations for candidates who require them. If you are in need of accessibility support, please visit our website at http://www.von.ca/en/accessibility for further details.