The Health Care Assistant (HCA) is a member of the inter-professional care/service team and maintains a collaborative working relationship in the provision of supportive care.
The HCA is actively involved in the provision of supportive patient care. It includes but not limited to performing basic patient care functions which contribute to the implementation of the plan of care. The HCA work under delegation of a nurse or other regulated health care provider; and works to their own knowledge, skills and abilities including how to report outcomes and escalate safety concerns.
- Education: Completed a PSW Program that meets the appropriate standards established by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities
- Must be or in the process of being registered with the Ontario Personal Support Worker Registry
- Behavioral management (CPI) training
- Valid Basic Cardiac Life Support Certificate
- Ability to lift over 60 lbs. on a constant basis
- Ability to handle occasional to moderate exertion (i.e. constant standing, walking, climbing, reaching and frequent movement) on an occasional to frequent basis