Summerhill Market is a boutique grocery store chain in Toronto that specializes in scratch-made prepared foods and on-trend ingredients. Our stores go above and beyond a typical grocery store by offering an extensive rotating selection of ready to eat gourmet meals, freshly baked goodies, and curated hard to find groceries.
We are looking for talented individuals to join our growing team and help elevate our brand to the next level. Summerhill Market is an industry trend setter, and we are looking for individuals who are passionate about food and customer service.
Summerhill Market is looking for a Grocery Clerk to join the Grocery Department team at our Sherwood location.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Grocery Clerks are responsible for ensuring that the grocery department of the store is well-merchandised, stocked and products are easily accessible for our customers. The Grocery Clerk must be committed to customer service with a friendly demeanor and the ability assist customers. Grocery covers, all non-perishable items, dairy, and frozen goods.
- Assisting in receiving, storing, and stocking of products while ensuring proper product rotation and quality
- Supporting with creating and building product displays, ensuring proper facing of products
- Handling product damages and credits according to company policy
- Becoming familiar with all store products and their locations in order to assist customers in locating items
- Bagging groceries for customers at the front cash and performing carry-outs when needed
- Maintaining store cleanliness
- Being a team player and helping your team members across the store as needed
- Adhering to all company policies, procedures and practices including signing, pricing, and loss prevention
- Passion for food – you are a true foodie at heart!
- Dedication to delivering an exceptional Customer experience – you love our customers as much as we do!
- Being an effective and positive communicator – having great listening skills patience and knowing how to de-escalate challenging situations
- Previous grocery or food industry experience along with a Food Safety Handlers Certification is an asset
- Quality driven with strong attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills (verbally and written) with a customer focused mindset and the ability to convey direction in a clear and concise manner
- Collaborative with the ability to work in a dynamic team to create solutions in support of store operations
- Able to stand, reach, lift, bend, kneel, stoop, climb, push and pull items weighing 50 pounds or less
- Flexible availability to work morning, evening, and weekend shifts with the ability to accommodate various shift coverage on short notice
- Comfortable working in a cooler environment, entering coolers/freezers as needed
- Tech savvy with the ability to learn our ERP, inventory ordering system
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred
If this sounds like the role for you, we offer some pretty cool perks!
- Weekly pay
- Awesome employee discount
- Flexible schedule
- Employer paid benefits for all full-time employees
- Dynamic workplace culture that promotes collaboration, internal training/development, diversity & inclusion and recognizing, rewards & celebrates employees
- Easily accessible locations
- Complimentary work swag (your Summerhill Market work shirts are provided)
At Summerhill Market, we are an equal opportunity employer that values and encourages diversity in the workplace. We provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, record of offences, marital status, family status, disability or any other characteristic protected by local law. Should you require an accommodation at any point during the recruitment process, please let us know and we will be happy to accommodate.
The purpose of this document is to provide a general summary of essential responsibilities for this position and is not an exhaustive list. Duties, assignments, and other responsibilities may differ for similar positions based on business needs of each location.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: From $16.50 per hour
Flexible Language Requirement:
- French not required
- 10 hour shift
- 8 hour shift
We are taking all government recommended precautions.
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Toronto, ON: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Grocery: 1 year (preferred)
- Customer service: 1 year (preferred)