University Health Network (UHN) is looking for an experienced professional to fill the key role of Financial Business Manager in our JDMI Finance Department.
The Energy of the City. The Rewards of a Great Career.
The University Health Network, where “above all else the needs of patients come first”, encompasses Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, Toronto Rehabilitation Institute and the Michener Institute of Education at UHN. The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of groundbreaking firsts and a purpose of “Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning”, the University Health Network (UHN), Canada’s largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,200 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing the world. Find out about our purpose, values and principles here.
As a key member of the financial services function, the Financial Business Manager for LMP is responsible for the effective financial planning, performance measurement, and analysis of activities, revenues, and costs, as well as the management of financial systems for the portfolio. The role works closely with senior management, unit managers, and directors reviewing, strategizing and making recommendations on Unit/Program financials; preparing and analyzing monthly/quarterly packages to facilitate decision making and financial/activity reporting; as well as developing, implementing and managing long and short term strategies for the expansion of the Programs that are in alignment with hospital goals. The Financial Business Manager is also expected to participate in and supervise others in projects/special projects relating to both the portfolio and UHN.
Financial Management – Plays a leadership role in the development of the financial strategy and management of financial/activity reporting for the portfolio
Administrative Management – Performs administrative responsibilities to ensure the effective and efficient operation of the portfolio
Productivity and Analysis – Leads productivity analysis on portfolio activities
Project/Special Project Management – Maintains responsibility for the effective management and execution of projects and special projects
- Accurate and timely completion of the departments month end processes, financial reporting to management & clinical business leaders, and managing financial and other information requests
- Ensure timely and accurate internal & external client billing and revenue collection for the department
- Works with the department’s senior leadership team in the preparation of operating budgets, forecasts, and manages internal and external reporting requirements and relationships
- Provides sound and timely information, and financial leadership to business operations, analyzing, strategizing and making recommendations
- Develops, manages and leads projects that will result in cost savings, efficiency and productivity across the organization. Supports inter-hospital and inter-departmental projects, ensuring their successful planning, implementation and ongoing operation.
- Supports the senior leadership with the development, implementation and management of long and short term strategies in line with the department’s and hospital’s goals, mission and values
- Meets with Management within assigned directorates to review their financial results and operational issues
- Identifies accounting issues and recommends the necessary post-closing adjusting entries to be applied to financial statements to rectify issues
Human Resources Management;
- Manages and develops human resources
- Determines skill requirements and mix of staff.
- Manages recruitment of staff , as necessary.
- Establishes and monitors staff performance ; takes appropriate action when performance standards are not met
- Promotes appropriate participative management style.
- Provides coaching for staff.
- Promotes skill development of staff and colleagues to ensure on-going competence.
- Collaborates with appropriate Human Resources personnel in order to achieve common objectives.
- Identifies and resolves disputes, concerns and/or problems within the team in a manner that is fair and consistent with Hospital and departmental policies.
Performs other responsibilities to support client groups;
- Contributes financial expertise by being a finance representative on LMP and Hospital interdisciplinary teams.
- Fulfills ad hoc requests made by Corporate Finance, other directorates and/or external parties, as approved by senior leadership.
- Provides support in interpretation and understanding of financial information, as requested.
- Provides support to UHN Corporate Finance initiatives as and when required
- Completion of an undergraduate degree program, in Business Administration or a recognized equivalent required
- Five years or more related experience in progressive finance or business roles
- Completion of a professional designation (CPA or equivalent) or MBA required
- Highly competent computer skills, preferably Microsoft Office and Outlook applications
- Demonstrates attention to detail, with strong motivational and leadership skills
- Client service-oriented, with the ability to effectively work with diverse teams
- In-depth knowledge of financial management and budgeting required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required
- Excellent decision making skills, with the ability to form/defend independent judgment and use good judgment when assessing challenging tasks
- Ability to take a creative and proactive approach to problem recognition, solving and conflict resolution required
- Demonstrates composure under pressure/stressful conditions and ability to meet multiple and competing deadlines
- Demonstrated commitment to continuing education required
- Experience working in a health care environment and conducting audits is an asset
- Experience in physician billing practice an asset
If you are interested in making your contribution at UHN, please apply on-line. You will be asked to copy and paste as well as attach your resume and covering letter. You will also be required to complete some initial screening questions.
POSTED DATE: October 29, 2020 CLOSING DATE: Until Filled
For current UHN employees, only those who have successfully completed their probationary period, have a good employee record along with satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN’s attendance management program, and possess all the required experience and qualifications should apply.
UHN thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the Bona-fide requirements for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.