Date Posted: 03/15/2021
Req ID: 2701
Faculty/Division: Faculty of Arts & Science
Department: ARTSC: Ofc of the Dean
Campus: St. George (Downtown Toronto)
The Faculty of Arts & Science is the heart of Canada’s leading university and one of the most comprehensive and diverse academic divisions in the world. The strength of Arts & Science derives from our combined teaching and research excellence in the humanities, sciences and social sciences across 29 departments, seven colleges and 46 interdisciplinary centres, institutes and programs.
We can only realize our mission with the dedication and excellence of engaged staff and faculty. The diversity of opportunities and perspectives within the Faculty reflect the local and global landscape and the need for curiosity, innovative thinking and collaboration. At Arts & Science, we take pride in our legacy of innovation and discovery that has changed the way we think about the world.
The University of Toronto’s Financial Services in the Faculty of Arts and Science is responsible for the financial management of the Faculty. This includes the graduate functional envelope and the federated and constituent colleges’ academic budgets. We additionally develop and deliver financial training seminars for both academic and administrative staff. If you’re diligent, productive, and highly skilled, consider a future with us.
As a member of the Business Operations unit of the Faculty of Arts and Science, the incumbent works under the general direction of the Senior Faculty Financial Officer, and is responsible for front line customer service support for the business administration community across the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, responding to financial and business operations inquiries, and resolving compliance concerns or non-personal complaints. The incumbent will provide ad hoc AMS support and training.
This role is responsible for processing all accounts payable transactions, expense claims, banking receipts, purchase order and purchase requisitions, and budget transfers on FIS; and provides back up support for processing casual pay for the Dean’s and centralized Faculty Administrative Offices on HRIS. This role requires the incumbent to review and audit transaction documents and is responsible for ensuring compliance with the University’s financial rules, guidelines and processes.
The incumbent works independently to resolve operational processing issues and brings more complex concerns to the attention of the Senior Faculty Financial Officer or Senior Management. The incumbent is responsible for providing and coordinating the logistics for the efficient running of the Finance Office including front line reception, maintaining the office filing system; processing mail; handling regular general inquiries from members of the business administration community across the Faculty; maintaining office supplies for the Finance Office.
The Financial Assistant supports the Faculty’s business officer community and individual units on financial processing, rule and guideline compliance, ad-hoc training and provides short term relief for processing documents in the absence of the unit’s business officer(s).
Your responsibilities will include:
- Checking that proper approvals are obtained prior to processing transactions
- Monitoring department budget to ensure expenditures remain within budgeted allocations
- Preparing and/or processing journal entries
- Generating standard financial reports
- Processing expense reimbursements
- Preparing and recording deposits on a regular basis
- Identifying and resolving individual financial discrepancies
- Analyzing and recommending improvements to financial processes and procedures
- Completed advanced 3 year College Diploma in a recognized accounting program and/or an acceptable combination of education and experience.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in financial and payroll accounting.
- Demonstrated experience with Financial Information Systems (FIS) and Human Resources Information System (HRIS).
- University experience preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of the University of Toronto financial rule, guidelines and processes, including its financial and procurement processes and good knowledge of the Ontario Broader Public Sector (BPS) Procurement Directive, Faculty of Arts and Sciences operational processes, and payroll rules and processes including CRA rules and requirements.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Advanced knowledge and skills in standard office technology (e.g. Excel, Outlook, Word mail merge, etc.).
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong customer support service focus with a commitment to promotingpositive customer relations.
- Demonstrated attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy.
- Aptitude for figures.
- Ability to exercise good judgement and initiative and maintain strict confidentiality.
To be successful in this role you will be:
- Team player
Closing Date: 03/23/2021, 11:59PM ET
Employee Group: USW
Appointment Type: Budget – Continuing
Pay Scale Group & Hiring Zone:
USW Pay Band 09 – $58,242 with an annual step progression to a maximum of $74,482. Pay scale and job class assignment is subject to determination pursuant to the Job Evaluation/Pay Equity Maintenance Protocol.
Job Category: Finance/Budget/Planning/Audit