Make Your Mark!
Start your career at PVS Contractors Inc.
Experienced Damage Prevention Technicians-Union Position
PVS Contractors Inc is the leader in telecommunications network infrastructure services. We are currently seeking energetic, career-minded men and women for the role of Damage Prevention Technicians for our unionized territory.
Damage Prevention Technicians (DPT) keep our communities safe and functional. PVS is one of the largest growing locating firms in Ontario and we’re looking for driven, conscientious, individuals to join our team.
- Using company provided equipment the DPT’s will identify the utility, mark the area and create drawings of the located area and services
- Operate various electronic devices including use of a receiver wand and transmitter designed to assist in the locating and verifying of underground utilities including gas, phone and fiber optic cables
- Mark utility lines using spray paint or coloured flags
- Prepares various reports and documentation verifying marked utilities
- Work in compliance with all health and safety and environmental legislation including, but not limited to, the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations and PVS Contractors Inc.’s Policies and Procedures.
- Be able to work weekends, on call and overtime as the workload dictates
- Other duties assigned by supervisor
Applicants for this position will have the following qualifications:
- Minimum of one year experience as a Damage Prevention Technician/Utility Locator
- Minimum high school education required
- Valid G class driver’s license with clean driver’s abstract and Criminal Record check
- Intermediate computer skills with knowledge of Microsoft Office products (Outlook, Word, Excel)
- Excellent safety and attendance record and previously demonstrated strong safety awareness
- Ability to operate and use required tools and equipment skillfully and safely
- Ability to distinguish colours for marked utilities
- Ability to work with minimal supervision with strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Capable of maintaining high productivity
- Motivated individual possessing excellent verbal, interpersonal and written communication skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Excellent customer service skills with the ability to interact with clients, colleagues and the public
- Previous construction experiences an asset
- Confined Space Entry training an asset
Travel is required as projects will be located throughout geographic region. A company vehicle and gas card are provided.
A DPT must be able to perform the physical demands of the position’s work tasks and must be able to work in all types of weather conditions. This includes but not limited to, using a shovel, movement of equipment and/or materials; ability to carry equipment (transmitter and receiver) up to 20 lbs., walking ditches, walking on uneven surfaces and the ability to stand or walk for extended periods of time.
Compensation & Benefits
A DPT is no ordinary job; get to know your community, while enjoying a stimulating career along with:
- Company Paid Health Benefits
- Pension Plan with Employer matching contributions
- Employee Assistance Program
- Company Car for business use
- Incentive Program
- Opportunity to advance with in PVS Contractors Inc.
About PVS Contractors Inc.
PVS Contractors Inc. are leaders in ON1Call and Private Locates, completing nearly 300,000 gas, electric, fiber, telecom, CATV, water and sewer, and streetlight locates per year. Our internal Quality Management System assures quick and accurate locates – without damage to property or plant assets. Since our inception in 1977, PVS has demonstrated leadership in industry innovation. Recognizing the need to responsibly track locate information, PVS were among the first participants in the Ontario Regional Common Ground Alliance (ORCGA)and Locate Consortium pilot.
PVS Contractors Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, PVS Contractors Inc. will provide accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require.
Reference ID: 2020-06-08 Union DPT
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
- Private Locating : 1 year (Preferred)
- Damage Prevention Technician : 1 year (Required)
- Secondary School (Required)
- Toronto (Preferred)