At Flynn, it’s not just a job, it’s a career
We’re looking for someone to work with stakeholders on both the development and the business teams. A relationship expert with superior documentation skills and an in-depth knowledge of the software development lifecycle and business process re-engineering. This is a role for someone who wants to be the ongoing voice of the client’s system requirements.
Typical questions you’ll find yourself working to answer are:
- What are the inputs?
- What are the outputs?
- What are the expectations?
- What are the metrics?
- Where is the data is coming from?
- How does the data flow from source to target?
A successful business analyst will be facilitating meetings with our internal customers and the development team. They’ll own the client’s requirements from initial requirements to status updates and change requests. They’ll take raw requirements from the client, document them and add them to the development team’s planning tools. Breaking down large items into initiatives, features and requirements.
The business analyst will also play a role further into the development lifecycle by leading testing initiatives; creating test plans, test scenarios and test data; overseeing and executing test plans.
Once features and requirements are delivered the business analyst will assist with solving issues, identifying and reporting issues to tracking and implementing resolutions in a timely manner.
A Day In The Life
- Working on integrated mobile, web app, and ERP development projects
- Define requirements to help design, build and maintain SQL and NoSQL data layers
- Define requirements to help design, build and maintain RESTful APIs
- Everyone is responsible for building testable software
- Everyone is responsible for quality
- Everyone is responsible for security
- Coordinates, conducts, and documents requirements gathering sessions with end users, project stakeholders and development team(s)
- Critically evaluates information gathered from multiple sources, reconciles conflicts, decomposes high-level information into details, and distinguishes user requests from the underlying true needs
- Requirements Analysis & Documentation – facilitate, elicit, analyze, document; manage process from elicitation through to testing & implementation
- Recommends business and/or technological solutions based on these requirements
- Analyze impact of patches and development work in other areas, on existing ERP customizations, and coordinate their migration to production system
- Provide development team members with guidance and direction on planned feature development
- Identifies, plans and estimates level of effort for business analysis related tasks
- Identifying functions and workflows to identify impacts on existing ERP integrations with other applications, as well as new integration points to be considered
- Coordinates/executes the development of test cases.
- Performs functional testing as needed to ensure adherence to requirements
- Develops high quality documentation including business requirements documents, use cases, software requirements specifications, report specifications, epics, user stories, screen and interface designs, conceptual page flows, business process models, user acceptance test plans, and training manuals / user guides
- Develops end user documentation and provides orientation to end-users and IT team for all new or modified systems as required.
- Support the Scrum Master and Project Manager during all phases of the project
- Build stakeholder trust by understanding business concepts, issues, opportunities and language
- A willingness to provide off-hours support as required
- Work closely with the business owners and the solutions delivery team to facilitate successful execution of deliverables.
- Act as a point of contact for small enhancements & defect fixes.
- Working with multiple departments to understand full end-to-end processes
- Performing root cause analysis on escalated issues and making recommendations on corrective actions required as well as process enhancements to prevent recurrence;
- Performing basic reporting through SQL queries
- Learning new techniques and reinforcing them with solid past experience is critical.
What We Are Seeking
- A university degree, preferably in Business Administration or Computer Science/Engineering.
- At least three to five years’ experience working on technical projects. Preference for some of that time to have been as a business analyst.
- Breadth of knowledge across several functional modules within one or more common ERP applications such as Microsoft Dynamics (any flavour), SAP, Oracle, Sage, etc.)
- Coordinates and assists the Integration and Data teams to document integration designs and data conversions.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel; proficient Word and PowerPoint skills.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and execute work independently and effectively within deadlines.
- Understanding of or exposure to the Agile development methodology
- Must have firsthand experience with business requirements documentation, systems functional analysis, user testing, and project management plans development
- BABOK (Business Analyst Body of Knowledge) certification and/or demonstrated knowledge and familiarity with the key BABOK concepts, tasks, techniques, and skills
Solid understanding of architecture and design principles for:
- N-tier applications
- Micro services
- SaaS applications
- Data Integration
- Web-based applications
Past Experience with the following tools and technology is an asset:
- Atlassian Jira & Confluence, Aha!, NewRelic, Crashlytics/Fabric.io
- Be passionate about delighting our customers
- Familiar with the Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC)
- Strong knowledge of/experience in Agile practices (i.e. Scrum, Kanban)
- Outstanding communication skills and you know how to speak to stakeholders, end-users, and team members of all levels
- The written materials you produce are equally impressive and effective.
- Excellent analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, maintain, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information and translate analytical findings into actionable solutions/processes
- Must have the aptitude and desire to learn new competencies and skills.
- Extensive experience in mapping business processes, and process re-engineering
- Strong knowledge of business process design, mapping and optimization
- Ability to adapt to changing requirements based on evolving business needs
- Ability to participate in Quality Assurance and User Accepting Testing
- The ability to work effectively as part of a team, as well as independently, is required
- Ability to write SQL queries independently
- Applied knowledge of RDBMS design and modeling
What We Offer
- Funded training and development program
- Very well-equipped on-site gym
- Dental and supplemental medical plan
- RRSP contributions
- Excellent on site, subsidized cafeteria
- Windows laptop with lots of RAM and an SSD
Flynn Group of Companies is the leading trade contractor in North America that works on virtually every aspect of a building’s outer layer, including Roofing, Glazing, Waterproofing, and Architectural Metals. The foundation of our award winning success is having the right people on our team.
We are also highly active and committed to creating an environment which is accessible to all of our customers, employees and applicants. Reasonable accommodations in the hiring process will be provided to people with disabilities upon request.
- Address Mississauga
More jobs from Flynn Group of Companies