JOB POSTING #900030
POSITION: ENVIRONMENTAL SERVICES AIDE, ENVIRONMENTAL SERVICES ASSOCIATE, CLEANER
SITE: TORONTO GENERAL/TORONTO WESTERN/TORONTO REHAB
DEPARTMENT: ENVIRONMENTAL SERVICES
REPORTS TO: SUPERVISOR
WAGE RATE: $22.86 PER HOUR – $24.12 PER HOUR (IN ACCORDANCE WITH RESPECTIVE COLLECTIVE AGREEMENT).
HOURS: MUST BE AVAILABLE FOR ON-CALL DAY, EVENING, AND NIGHT SHIFTS INCLUDING ON WEEKENDS AND STAT HOLIDAYS
The ENVIRONMENTAL SERVICE AIDE/ASSOCIATE/CLEANER performs general and specific duties in assigned areas in accordance with Environmental Services Department standards of practice, policies and procedures.
The principal responsibilities include:
- Performing routine cleaning of all areas of the facility including but not limited to occupied patient rooms, clinic areas, nursing stations, waiting rooms, lobbies, washrooms, offices, kitchens, utility rooms, corridors, and public areas in accordance with quality standards, procedures, and training. Replenishing washroom supplies.
- Completing assigned cleaning duties including surface disinfection, mopping, vacuuming, sweeping, dusting, and cleaning of specific areas.
- Detailed discharge cleaning of patient rooms including changing cubicle, privacy, and window curtains with a ladder, as required.
- Carrying out enhanced cleaning procedures and terminal cleaning for patients on isolation precautions and in the event of outbreaks.
- Terminal cleaning of the Operating Rooms (OR), perioperative environment, and OR equipment according to standards and procedures.
- Removing and handling recycling, compost, garbage, biomedical and cytotoxic waste in accordance with procedures and legislation.
- Moving furniture and equipment as required to carry out cleaning responsibilities.
- Cleaning and maintaining elevators and stairs.
- Using a mobile device to accept, start, and complete assigned tasks.
- Following all Infection Prevention and Control procedures including hand washing and isolation procedures.
- Wearing gloves, isolation gowns, masks (surgical and N95), eye protection, and other Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) while carrying out duties as required.
- Cleaning and disinfecting with bleach and other cleaning chemicals in accordance with training and procedures while wearing required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Successful candidates may be trained on the use of motorized cleaning equipment including but not limited to ride-on and walk-behind auto scrubbers and burnishers, carpet care equipment, buffers, swing machines, etc.
- Successful candidates may be trained to perform floor care include stripping, floor finishing, burnishing, and buffing.
- Using equipment including ladders, mops, vacuums. Maintaining equipment and housekeeping cart in a clean tidy manner.
- Attending staff meetings, safety huddles, education, and training as required.
- Participating and assisting in training of new personnel in all required job functions.
- Performing other duties in support of the Housekeeping function; performing cross-functional and other duties as assigned and/or required
- At minimum completion of high school or recognized equivalent
- 3 months to less than 6 months practical and related experience and/or 3 months to less than 6months on the job training
- Ability to use tools and equipment common to the work being performed including: vacuum, dry mop, squeegee, space sweeper, etc.
- Knowledge of Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (W.H.M.I.S.).
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health & Safety Act and other relevant legislation.
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the job including: standing, sweeping, pushing/pulling carts, walking on uneven surfaces, reaching forward, reaching above and below the shoulders, able to lift 11 kg to 20 kg
- Ability to read, write and speak English fluently to understand verbal work orders and/or instructions.
- Ability to understand material such as short notes, brief forms and/or instructions.
- Ability to do simple mathematical calculations (e.g. adding, subtracting, etc.).
- Compliance with Body Substance Precautions provisions.
- Compliance with sanitary and infection control requirements.
- Ability to perform duties in a professional and courteous manner and produce high quality work while meeting deadlines in accordance to UHN standards.
- Exercise initiative and good judgment with ability to multi-task.
- Effective organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Knowledge of UHN and/or departmental policies.
- Client service oriented, with the ability to effectively work with diversity and appreciate that people with different opinions, backgrounds and characteristics bring richness to the challenge or situation at hand.
- Casual staff must be available for all shifts (Days, Evenings, Nights) and are assigned to work in all areas of the department
- Vaccines (COVID-19 and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption on a medical ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
Why join UHN?
In addition to working alongside some of the most talented and inspiring healthcare leaders in the world, UHN offers a wide range of benefits, programs and perks. It is the comprehensiveness of offerings that makes it a differentiating factor, allowing you to find value where it matters most to you, now and throughout your career at UHN.
- Competitive compensation
- Opportunities for development and promotions
- HOOPP defined benefit pension plan
- Wellness services & offerings
- Additional perks (Multiple corporate discounts including: travel, restaurants, parking, phone plans, auto insurance discounts, on-site gyms, etc.)
University Health Network thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the bona-fide requirements for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted
Job Type: Casual
Salary: From $22.86 per hour
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Evening shift
- Night shift
- On call
- Weekend availability