From $22.86 an hour
Full Job Description
Position: Environmental Services Aide/Associate, Cleaner
Site: Toronto General/Toronto Western/Toronto Rehab
Department: Environmental Services
Reports to: Manager
Starting Wage: $22.86 per hour (Starting rate Non-Negotiable)
Wage Schedule: $22.86 – $24.12 per hour in accordance with Union collective agreement.
Hours: Must be available for all shifts. Days, evenings, nights, weekends and holidays.
Job Posting #: 900030 – ONGOING
The University Health Network, where “above all else the needs of patients come first”, encompasses Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, Toronto Rehabilitation Institute and the Michener Institute of Education at UHN. The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of ground breaking firsts and a purpose of “Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning”, the University Health Network (UHN), Canada’s largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,200 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing the world. Find out about our purpose, values and principles here.
Our Environmental Services Department is looking for hard-working and dedicated people to join our team! The Environmental Aide/Associate/Cleaner plays an essential role in cleaning and infection prevention in our hospitals and a positive patient experience to those we serve in our community.
- Performing routine cleaning (surface disinfection, mopping, vacuuming, dusting, etc.) of all areas of the facility including but not limited to occupied patient rooms, clinic areas, nursing stations, waiting rooms, lobbies, washrooms, offices, kitchens, operating rooms, utility rooms, corridors, morgues, equipment, and public areas in accordance with quality standards, procedures, and training. Replenishing washroom supplies.
- Removing and handling recycling, compost, garbage, biomedical and cytotoxic waste in accordance with procedures and legislation.
- Successful candidates may also be trained on the use of motorized cleaning equipment and performing floor care Attending staff meetings, safety huddles, education, and training as required.
- Utilizing cleaning chemicals (i.e. bleach) and equipment (such as ladders, mops, vacuums and some motorized cleaning equipment) in accordance with training and procedures.
- Wearing required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and uniform as required.
- Performing other duties in support of the Housekeeping function; performing cross-functional and other duties as assigned and/or required.
- Completion of high school, or combination of education and training deemed equivalent.
- Experience in a similar or relevant role, an asset.
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the job including: standing, sweeping, pushing/pulling carts, walking on uneven surfaces, reaching forward, reaching above and below the shoulders, ability to lift up to 20 kg.
- Ability to read, write and speak English fluently to understand verbal work orders, instructions and material such as short notes, brief forms etc.
- Ability to do simple mathematical calculations (e.g. adding, subtracting, etc.)
- Vaccines (COVID-19 and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption on a medical ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code
**Note: Casual staff do not have a regular schedule and are called in for shifts. Casual staff must be available for all shifts (Days, Evenings, Nights) and are assigned to work in all areas of the department. Once hired, a casual staff are eligible to apply for opportunities internally.
Why join UHN?
In addition to working alongside some of the most talented and inspiring healthcare professionals in the world, UHN offers a wide range of benefits, programs and perks. It is the comprehensiveness of offerings that makes it a differentiating factor, allowing you to find value where it matters most to you, now and throughout your career at UHN.
- Competitive compensation
- Opportunities for development and promotions within a large department
- Government funded organization
- HOOPP defined benefit pension plan
- Wellness services & offerings
- Close access to the TCC and UHN shuttle service
- Additional perks (Multiple corporate discounts including: travel, restaurants, parking, phone plans, auto insurance discounts, on-site gyms, etc.)
If you are interested in making your contribution at UHN, please apply on-line. You will be asked to copy and paste as well as attach your resume and covering letter. You will also be required to complete some initial screening questions.
For current UHN employees, only those who have successfully completed their probationary period, have a good employee record along with satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN’s attendance management program, and possess all the required experience and qualifications should apply.
University Health Network thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity and welcomes all applicants including but not limited to: all religions and ethnicities, LGBTQ2s+, BIPOC, persons with disabilities and all others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the Bona-fide requirements for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.
Job Type: Casual
Salary: From $22.86 per hour
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Evening shift
- Night shift
- On call
- Weekend availability