ENVIRONMENTAL SERVICES AIDE
The University Health Network, where “above all else the needs of patients come first”, encompasses Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, Toronto Rehabilitation Institute and the Michener Institute of Education. The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of groundbreaking firsts and a purpose of “Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning”, the University Health Network (UHN), Canada’s largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,200 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing the world.
Working as part of the Environmental Services department, the Environmental Services Aide performs general and specific cleaning duties in assigned areas throughout the hospital in accordance with departmental and hospital standards of practice, policies and procedures, providing a clean, safe and pleasant environment for patients, visitors and staff.
- Removing recyclables and garbage/waste from multiple locations;
- Cleaning and maintaining patient rooms, kitchens, bathrooms, offices, etc.;
- Performing floor care, within scope of authority,
- Moving furniture and other items, as required;
- Cleaning, disinfecting and maintaining Operating Rooms (O.R.) according to O.R. standards;
- Cleaning and maintaining elevators and stairs;
- Performing other duties in support of the Housekeeping function;
- At minimum completion of high school or recognized equivalent;
- 3-6 months practical and related experience and/or 3-6 months on the job training;
- Ability to use tools and equipment common to the work being performed including vacuum, dry mop, squeegee, space sweeper, etc.
- Knowledge of the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (W.H.M.I.S.), Occupational Health & Safety Act and other relevant legislation;
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the job including standing, sweeping, pushing/pulling carts, walking on uneven surfaces, reaching forward, reaching above and below the shoulders, able to lift 11 kg to 20 kg;
- Ability to read, write and speak English fluently to understand verbal work orders and/or instructions;
- Ability to understand material such as short notes, brief forms and/or instructions;
- Ability to do simple mathematical calculations (e.g., adding, subtracting, etc.);
- Compliance with Body Substance Precautions provisions and sanitary and infection control requirements;
- Ability to perform duties in a professional and courteous manner and produce high quality work while meeting deadlines in accordance with UHN standards;
- Exercise initiative and good judgment with ability to multi-task;
- Effective organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills;
- Client service oriented, with the ability to effectively work with diversity and appreciate that people with different opinions, backgrounds and characteristics bring richness to the challenge or situation at hand;
- May be required to work at multiple areas as well as rotating shifts in emergency situations;
Why join UHN?
In addition to working alongside some of the most talented and inspiring healthcare professionals in the world, UHN offers a wide range of benefits, programs and perks. It is the comprehensiveness of these offerings that makes it a differentiating factor, allowing you to find value where it matters most to you, now and throughout your career at UHN.
- Competitive compensation & benefits (medical, dental, etc)
- HOOPP defined benefit pension plan
- Wellness services & offerings
- Close access to Transit and UHN shuttle service
- Opportunities for development and promotions within a large organization
- Additional perks (multiple corporate discounts including: travel, restaurants, parking, phone plans, auto insurance discounts, on-site gyms, etc.)
Current UHN employees must have successfully completed their probationary period, have a good employee record along with satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN’s attendance management program, to be eligible for consideration.
Vaccines (COVID and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption on a medical ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their requirements known in advance. Any information received related to an accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
University Health Network thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.