University Health Network (UHN) is looking for an experienced professional to fill the key role of Communications Operator in our UHN CONNECT Department.
The Energy of the City. The Rewards of a Great Career.
The University Health Network, where “above all else the needs of patients come first”, encompasses Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, Toronto Rehabilitation Institute and the Michener Institute of Education at UHN. The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of groundbreaking firsts and a purpose of “Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning”, the University Health Network (UHN), Canada’s largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,200 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing the world. Find out about our purpose, values and principles here.
UHN CONNECT plays a critical role in the fast-paced communication flow at UHN’s Acute and Rehab sites. The Operator is a vital point of contact for all emergency events. They must accurately interpret and disseminate information to all the necessary key responders in an efficient and timely manner. This requires the Operator be able to handle multiple tasks and make quick, accurate and critical decisions under high pressure and stressful conditions. The Operator plays an essential role in UHN’s patient centered care mandate. The day to day location of key staff members means that the Operator must retain knowledge of the service specialties and the physicians for all the patient care areas. Answering and processing all calls directed to the main listed numbers for each Acute and Rehab site requires the Operator to maintain excellent communication skills, exemplary customer service and a thorough knowledge of UHN. The Operators work with limited supervision and therefore it is essential the Operators be self-directed and conscientious. The Operators must maintain a professional demeanour in all aspects of their role at all times.
Transforming Healthcare Delivery!
- Responds to all emergency codes and alarms per UHN and Departmental policies and procedures; activates the applicable key responders for all emergency codes and hospital emergency events
- Performs 911 calls to activate outside Emergency Services as needed to support UHN teams during a Code following established policies
- Monitors the Security radio channel and responds to requests from key responders
- Documents and records all Codes and Code testing in the appropriate format.
- Provides Locating Services on a UHN-wide basis
- Responds to page requests in an efficient and accurate manner
- Uses computerized paging application to activate long range pagers and other mobile devices
- Accurately locates senior administrators, on call personnel, physicians and other medical personnel as required in a timely manner
- Problem solves and trouble shoots any reported pager issue with device owner and escalates unresolved paging issues as needed using established procedures
- Offers and provides a spare pager to on call UHN staff
- Records and documents any pager issues in the appropriate format
- Executes excellent call management and provides exemplary customer service
- Operates current technologies and equipment required to answer, screen and connect internal and external telephone calls to patients and departments on a Hospital-wide basis
- Serves callers by determining requirements; answering inquiries; resolving problems; fulfilling requests and maintaining database
- Answers inquiries by clarifying desired information; researching; locating and providing desired information
- Resolves problems by clarifying issues; researching and exploring answers and alternative solutions; implementing solutions and escalating unresolved problems
- Maintains and improves quality results by adhering to standards and guidelines; recommending improvements to established procedures
- Maintains application databases by entering, verifying and updating information
- Maintains client confidence and protects operations by keeping information confidential
- Exemplifies customer service and supports the Organization’s mission in the execution of the role of Switchboard Operator
- Maintains, understands and executes all internal communications and engages in professional development
- Keeps up to date with all department policies and procedures
- Manages their individual corporate email account to ensure all communications are read, understood and implemented; dependent on site/shift maintain the assigned Department email inboxes
- Works in compliance of the Occupational Health & Safety Act and its regulations, reporting hazards, deficiencies and contravention’s of the Act, in a timely manner.
- Performs cross-functional and/or other duties consistent with the job classification, as assigned or requested.
- At minimum, completion of 2 year community college program.
- At minimum over 2 years practical and related experience
- Good hearing and recall necessary for the ability to retain and repeat pertinent information
- Oral Comprehension – the ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences
- Oral Expression – the ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand
- English Language – Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition and grammar
- Proven skill in typing 40 WPM with testing to be completed during screening process
- Knowledge and ability to navigate through and effectively use various Windows based applications
- Knowledge of Medical Terminology and ability to correctly use, pronounce and spell complex medical term
- Ability to perform duties in a professional and courteous manner and produce high quality work while meeting deadlines in accordance to UHN standards.
- Exercise initiative and good judgment with ability to multi-task.
- Compliance with confidentiality requirements.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills both written and verbal
- Knowledge of applicable UHN and/or departmental policies.
If you are interested in making your contribution at UHN, please apply on-line. You will be asked to copy and paste as well as attach your resume and covering letter. You will also be required to complete some initial screening questions.
POSTED DATE: December 12, 2019 CLOSING DATE: Until Filled
For current UHN employees, only those who have successfully completed their probationary period, have a good employee record along with satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN’s attendance management program, and possess all the required experience and qualifications should apply.University Health Network thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the Bona-fide requirements for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.