JOB OPPORTUNITY – Clinical Manager & Nursing Professional Practice Lead
Youthdale is seeking a full-time Clinical Manager & Nursing Professional Practice Lead to provide operational oversight and leadership to the Acute Support Unit (ASU) and the nursing team at its Treatment Centre. This is an exciting yet challenging time to join the Youthdale team as we continue to respond to the COVID -19 pandemic while providing comprehensive, integrated mental health services to children, youth and families.
Reporting to the Senior Director, In-patient Services, and as a leader on the In-patient Units, the Clinical Manager & Nursing Professional Practice Lead promotes a therapeutic and effective milieu for clients, families, and staff. The Clinical Manager & Nursing Professional Practice Lead also ensures the security, safety and therapeutic environment for the clients, attending to the policies and procedures and other such standards established by the Ministries of Children, Community and Social Services and Health and Accreditation Canada for the delivery of high quality care to our clients.
As the Nursing Professional Practice Lead, you will be responsible and accountable for professional practice of all nursing staff, clinical education delivery, and the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of infection prevention and control practices. You will also work collaboratively with the inter-professional care team to promote evidence-based practice, continuous quality improvement and innovation, a healthy and safe work environment and compliance with all legislative requirements.
The ideal candidate must have demonstrated ability to work with multi-needs clients utilizing a goal-focused approach and possess excellent interpersonal, communication, leadership and organizational skills and be able to balance priorities and work flexibly.
If you are interested in joining a dynamic and evolving team and have a passion for working with children and youth in a mental health setting, this is the opportunity for you.
Position Status: Full-Time Permanent
- Supports the clinical team in using evidence-based best practices in the assessment, treatment planning and service delivery for clients, in partnership with families and professionals in the community.
- Leads the development of evidence-based care pathways that ensure equity and excellence in care.
- Identifies and addresses any challenges or opportunities related to the delivery of the inpatient services.
- Ensures the complex needs of clients are recognized and individual plans with customized components and novel approaches are developed and implemented.
- Participates in care planning rounds, post-incident debriefing and/or case conferences as needed.
- Attends and provides leadership in the following forums: Charge Meeting, Group Supervision, Clinical Rounds, Priorization, and Quality Assurance.
- Contributes to incident analysis and complaint investigations related to nursing practice.
- Ensures all Serious Occurrence Reports are completed in accordance with policies and procedures and are sent to the Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services in a timely fashion.
Team Management & Development
- Responsible for the day-to-day supervision of the staff, ensuring that they are performing as per the standards.
- Demonstrates leadership practices, which are consistent with the mission, vision and philosophy of Youthdale Treatment Centres.
- Responsible for hiring, interviewing, selecting and onboarding/orienting new unit and nursing staff.
- Leads, develops and motivates a cohesive team to ensure high standards of work quality, continuous learning and innovation in others.
- Provides leadership and engages the team to achieve or exceed performance targets.
- Coaches and manages employees with performance issues and consults appropriately with Human Resources.
- Implements improvement initiatives to advance the scope nursing of practice at Youthdale.
- Identifies and addresses training and development needs of staff.
- Ensures supervisors conduct weekly supervisions, annual evaluations of staff, and review documentation.
- Accountable for mentorship (or arranging mentorship) of new staff and for setting up individual development plans to ensure excellence in practice where required.
- Arranges and coordinates student clinical placements and other student education opportunities.
- Responsible for adherence to all Ministry and Accreditation Medication Management and Infection, Prevention and Control standards.
- Serves as a resources across Youthdale’s continuum of clinical services related to medication administration standards.
- Participates as a member of the Quality Improvement Committee and the Board Quality Committee.
- Conducts clinical audits of documentation, plans of care and the effectiveness of nursing care and services to ensure compliance with documentation standards, internal policies and procedures, Accreditation Canada and legislation.
- Compiles, analyzes, and evaluates data to support evidence-based decision-making/process improvement.
- Responsible for submission of monthly and annual mechanical restraint reports to the Ministry.
- Assists in other parts of the agency as required, and may be required to assist in the coordination of agency-wide functions as well as represent the agency at community conferences and/or meetings.
- Acts as a liaison between Registered Nurses and the College of Nurses of Ontario regarding standards of practice, etc., as required.
- Other duties as assigned
- Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) degree is required – (RN) Registered Nurse
- A regulated health care professional designation (RN) required holding a current professional license, in good standing, to practice in Ontario.
- 3 years management or supervisory experience in a health care organization.
- Nursing experience of 5+ years caring for individuals with mental illness is required. Secure In-patient experience is an asset.
- Current HCP level (CPR) certificate is also required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of community-based resources, including mental health centres, addiction support services, health facilities, social agencies, etc.
- Strong knowledge of the occurrence and range of child and youth mental health disorders and difficulties, as well as of the social determinants of health, and the social consequences and risk factors associated with serious mental illness.
- Infection Control Course completion an asset or willingness to complete.
- Demonstrated commitment to continuing education and professional development within the past 2 years with emphasis placed on courses/conferences related to Mental Health and Addictions.
- Sound understanding of documentation standards.
- Ability to work with clients of diverse cultural and social backgrounds is necessary.
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment; able to manage multiple demands and changing priorities.
- Ability to integrate and apply critical thinking skills to client care.
- Ability to function independently and as a part of the inter-professional team.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with proven ability to establish positive partnerships and work as a lead member of an inter-professional team.
- Excellent crisis management and conflict resolution skills to deal with contentious issues in a calm, collected manner.
- Willingness and ability to work on a flexible schedule, including emergency oncall as required.
About Youthdale Treatment Centres
Youthdale (www.youthdale.ca) provides comprehensive, integrated mental health services to children and their families, connecting them with the right programs and services, both at Youthdale and in their communities. We meet the complex needs of children and youth with a team of highly skilled and dedicated psychiatrists, psychologists, neurologists and neuropsychologists, social workers, nurses, and child and youth workers.
At Youthdale, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live and serve. Youthdale is committed to providing accommodation in all parts of the hiring process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
Please apply with your updated cover letter and resume by March 8, 2021.