Nursing Extern (x2)
The University Health Network, where “above all else the needs of patients come first”, encompasses?Toronto General Hospital, Toronto Western Hospital, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, Toronto Rehabilitation Institute and the Michener Institute of Education. The breadth of research, the complexity of the cases treated, and the magnitude of its educational enterprise has made UHN a national and international resource for patient care, research and education. With a long tradition of ground breaking firsts and a purpose of “Transforming lives and communities through excellence in care, discovery and learning”, the University Health Network (UHN), Canada’s largest research teaching hospital, brings together over 16,000 employees, more than 1,200 physicians, 8,000+ students, and many volunteers. UHN is a caring, creative place where amazing people are amazing the world.?
The Student Clinical Extern is a temporary position with the aim to provide student nurses with relevant on the job experience with patient care while working in a collaborative team environment. As a non-registered student nurse, the Student Clinical Extern participates in patient-care activities under the direction of a RN preceptor in the operating room.
The primary role of the Student Clinical Extern allows a non-registered student nurse to develop nursing skills, provide direct and indirect patient care in a mentored and supporting team environment. The Student Clinical Extern collaborates with the team to provide excellent patient-centred care in the operating room as a scrub nurse after successfully completing an online AORN theory course – Introduction to Perioperative Nursing is required prior to starting clinical.
- Enrolled in a baccalaureate nursing program
- Successful completion of the academic year prior to the last year in a recognized program.
- Evidence of good academic standing.
- Evidence of successful learning experiences in recent clinical placements.
- Completion of Basic Life Support (B.L.S.) required
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health & Safety Act and other relevant legislation.
- Knowledge of the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System.
- Knowledge of Emergency Codes.
- Work is moderately heavy involving lifting, considerable walking, and standing, bending, pushing and pulling of equipment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of infection control practices.
- Demonstrates a positive attitude and the willingness to work effectively in a team.
- Demonstrated commitment to on-going learning and professional development.
- Demonstrate aptitude to foster caring and trusting relationships with patients and families in an effort to support patient focused care.
- Ability to maintain a consistent level of productivity and efficiency.
- Ability to perform responsibilities in a courteous manner.
- Effective organizational, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Patient service orientated, with the ability to effectively work with diversity.
- Good work and attendance record is required.
- All employees of UHN are responsible to contribute to a transparent culture of patient and staff safety by adhering to and abiding by patient and staff safety policies and procedures set by UHN.
- All employees are accountable for protecting the psychological health and safety of themselves.
Why join UHN?
In addition to working alongside some of the most talented and inspiring healthcare professionals in the world, UHN offers a wide range of benefits, programs and perks. It is the comprehensiveness of these offerings that makes it a differentiating factor, allowing you to find value where it matters most to you, now and throughout your career at UHN.
- Competitive offer packages
- Government organization and a member of the Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP https://hoopp.com/)
- Close access to Transit and UHN shuttle service
- A flexible work environment
- Opportunities for development and promotions within a large organization
- Additional perks (multiple corporate discounts including: travel, restaurants, parking, phone plans, auto insurance discounts, on-site gyms, etc.)
Current UHN employees must have successfully completed their probationary period, have a good employee record along with satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN’s attendance management program, to be eligible for consideration.
Vaccines (COVID and others) are a requirement of the job unless you have an exemption on a medical ground pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their requirements known in advance. Any information received related to an accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
University Health Network thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.