The responsibilities of the CLINICAL ENGINEER include: promotes the safe use of medical technology in the hospital; collaborating with senior medical/nursing and other relevant personnel to develop strategic plans for the acquisition and management of medical equipment consistent with the vision, mission and goals of the Hospital; managing projects related to the Hospital’s medical equipment needs, including managing, designing, developing and participating in the implementation of equipment and the scheduling of all associated maintenance operations; providing direction and guidance to departmental and Hospital staff utilizing equipment and networked systems; liaising with appropriate vendors/suppliers to facilitate and support planning, equipment acquisition; managing and leading information systems development and information systems projects taken on by the department; developing policies and procedures for the department relating to medical equipment and information systems; plans and coordinates education initiatives related to medical equipment and participates in the implementation of clinical, research and education projects taken on by the department; performing quality assurance responsibilities; performing activities to generate revenue on behalf of the department and Hospital; performing cross-functional duties, as assigned and/or requested; performing other duties consistent with the job classification, as required.
This CE position has a focus on managing the capital equipment fleets at all UHN sites, particularly the patient handling equipment (beds, stretchers, lifts, wheelchairs, etc.). The position works with Medical Engineering on multi-year capital planning, with clinical stakeholders to determine key capital renewal priorities, leads regular patient handling equipment committee meetings, leads related risk management activities, manages equipment procurement and contracts, and oversees all new equipment installations.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Promotes the safe use of medical equipment and systems develops hospital standards for electromedical equipment
- Informs hospital personnel of applicable legal and hospital standards and of the appropriate interpretation of these standards
- Manages the development and operation of the Department’s Performance Assurance Program
- Investigates medical equipment related incidents and recommends any appropriate corrective actions
- Notifies manufacturers and outside agencies of any discovered hazards
- Collaborates with the senior medical/nursing and other relevant personnel to develop strategic plans for the acquisition and management of medical equipment consistent with the vision, mission and goals of the Hospital
- Analyzes equipment technology requirements; develops a strategic plan to facilitate the acquisition and management of these devices
- Develops and writes requirement specifications relating to the acquisition of medical equipment
- Manages projects related to the Hospital’s medical equipment needs at multiple sites, including managing, designing, developing and participating in the implementation of medical equipment and the scheduling of all associated maintenance operations
- Analyzes information system requirements and initiatives relating to medical equipment
- Defines projects in consultation with appropriate departmental and Hospital staff; develops project plans and parameters that measures the effectiveness and efficiency of plans/recommendations
- Collaborates with appropriate parties to establish project schedule
- Assembles an implementation team; defines and monitors project implementation; evaluates outcomes/system performance
- Designs and implements new work flows to ensure optimum use of technologies; provides system support (i.e. design, modification, staff training), to computer-based applications running in Medical Engineering, including main network/database, other databases and work-tracking systems
- Monitors all tasks related to system integration; takes appropriate action to ensure reliable system operation
- Exercises control and guidance over the progress of projects including specifying timelines for completion, etc.
- Liaises with appropriate vendors/suppliers to facilitate and support planning, medical equipment acquisition, managing and leading information systems development and information systems projects taken on by the department
- Collaborates with senior medical, nursing and administrative staff and other relevant parties for product selection and procurement
- Liaises with vendors/suppliers to identify and select medical products, to negotiate Hospital requirements, to discuss and review current literature related to current medical equipment and information technology trends and standards to facilitate the development of a cost effective and knowledge based plan
- Prepares and circulates written synopses of proposed projects to interested parties to obtain agreement on project direction
- Plans and coordinates education initiatives related to medical equipment and participates in the implementation of clinical, research and education projects taken on by the department
- Identifies and conducts clinical, research and education projects, in collaboration with appropriate departmental/ Hospital staff and outside agenciesCo-ordinates education initiatives with respect to medical equipment and their networking within the department and the Hospital
- Develops and conducts training programs; provides training to non-hospital staff, as required
- Reviews journals, newsletters, and other publications dealing with medical devices and technology to remain current with technology advancements and trends
- Performs quality assurance responsibilities
- Plans and conducts internal and external quality assurance audits on the work of the department’s medical equipment
- Initiates and implements quality improvement processes and projects
- Guides staff through quality projects and ensures that projects are properly documented and completed
- Participates in the assessment of medical equipment through review, evaluation, and acquisition in reference to its ability to meet all clinical needs
- Performs other duties consistent with the job classification, as required, including serving on Hospital committees, as required; attending and actively participating in departmental and multi-disciplinary meetings; representing the department on issues related to medical equipment.
- Completion of a recognized master’s degree in Clinical Engineering, or recognized equivalent required
- A recognized credit course in Project Management within 2 years of incumbency, if not previously obtained
- A course in Management / Supervisory Skills within 3 years of incumbency, if not previously obtained
- Five (5) years related experience preferred
- Experience working in a hospital environment preferred
- Highly self-motivated with strong ability to work independently under minimal supervision
- Ability to maintain professional manner under a variety of working circumstances
- Excellent abstract thinking and problem solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and customer service skills required
- Effective time management and organizational skills with the ability to set priorities required
- Effective verbal and written communication skills required
- Must demonstrate clear understanding of medical systems
- Ability to work effectively as a team member required
- Ability to work as an autonomous professional required
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently in a fast paced environment required
- Ability to work accurately under stressful conditions required
- Demonstrated commitment to continuing education required
- Computer literacy required.
- Registration as a Professional Engineer (P.Eng.) in Ontario with the PEO required within 2 years of incumbency
- Certification as a Clinical Engineer through the Healthcare Technology Certification Commission preferred; required within 1 year of meeting all eligibility requirements of the Commission
POSTED DATE: November 4, 2020 CLOSING DATE: Until Filled
University Health Network thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
For current UHN employees, only those who have successfully completed their probationary period, have a good employee record along with satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN’s attendance management program, and possess all the required experience and qualifications should apply.
UHN is a respectful, caring, and inclusive workplace. We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the Bona-fide requirements for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted