Position Title: Children’s Program Lead (FT)
Department: Children, Family and Youth Services
Location: 74 Firvalley Court + Taylor Creek Public School, Scarborough, ON
Warden Woods Community Centre
Warden Woods has been working collaboratively to meet the needs and interests of local community for over 50 years in Southwest Scarborough. We are a multi-service, charitable organization delivering programs and services across 6+ local sites with a workforce of 80 employees and 120 volunteers, in partnership with over 50 other groups. We currently operate a 49-bed 24/7 respite program, daycare, early years drop-in, children’s camps and afterschool programs, youth drop-in’s, drop-in and food security programs, meals on wheels and transportation support, 24/7 assisted living, home help, seniors’ recreation and congregate dining, intergenerational community events, tax clinics, adult recreation and health + wellness programs, advocacy and civic engagement projects, and other opportunities year-round for the benefit of local people and the Southwest Scarborough community as a whole.
Reporting to the Children’s Program Supervisor, the Children’s Program Lead will be responsible for supporting thedevelopment, promotion, implementation, supervision and evaluation of program activities and services for children 6-12 years (Camps & Afterschool Program) as well as the Early ON Program (children 0-6 and parents/caregivers).
· Develop and encourage positive and secure relationships with children and their caregivers.
· Assist with program planning, preparation, and implementation of a culturally sensitive program plan.
· Promote and development and well-being of children through an enriched physical and social environment
· Communicate with families, other staff, and the manager, keeping the manager informed of any concerns
· Demonstrate awareness and understanding of Warden Woods CC and the department statement, policies and procedures
· Build meaningful relationships with local children and families, and facilitate new referrals into the programs through effective outreach efforts (create + distribute materials, foster effective local referral relationships, etc.)
· Provide consistent leadership and mentorship in the programs, and engage in regular communication with the Program Supervisor, families, schools, program partners and other stakeholders to ensure children’s needs are met
· In collaboration with the program team, facilitate a safe, equitable program environment where reasonable expectations for communication and conduct are respectfully enforced
· Work with the Program Supervisor to plan, design, implement and facilitate year-round opportunities for children according to their needs and interests- programming, workshops, events, etc.
· Ensure program assets (equipment, supplies, spaces, etc.) are properly procured, used and stored
· Support families in addressing the barriers they and their children may face to full participation in community life
· Coordinate in-kind donations and volunteer engagement in the programs
· Manage crisis situations and coordinate responses to crisis in partnership with the program team
· Support effective social media activity for the program
· Complete and maintain appropriate documentation and statistics as assigned
· Support the supervision and engagement of placement students and volunteers
· Support the planning and implementation of ongoing program feedback mechanisms, periodic evaluations and program changes
· Participate meaningfully in meetings and training sessions with the program team
· Other duties as assigned
- 2+ years’ experience working directly in-person with children under 12 years old to implement programs and services
- Demonstrated ability to lead community engagement and outreach activities targeting children and families
- Demonstrated ability to develop and lead unique and engaging arts, literacy and recreation programming for school age children
- Demonstrated ability to lead engaging activities for children 0-6 and their parents/caregivers
- Demonstrated ability to respond appropriately to crisis as a member of a team in a community-based environment
- Demonstrated knowledge of child development, challenges facing local families with young children, and community resources for families in Southwest Scarborough
- Early Childhood Assistant or Early Childhood Education Diploma, or similar is an asset
- Immunization and health assessment in compliance with the Child Care and Early Years Act
- Standard First Aid & CPR C Certificate, and Food Handler’s Certification is required (can be obtained before employment starts)
- A recent Police Vulnerable Sector Check is required
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Compensation and Hours of Work:
· $ 20.88/hour @ 35 hours/week, Monday to Friday This position will work approximately 10am-6pm during the school year and approximately 9am-5pm during the summer months. Some flexibility is required.
· Start date: Sept 11, 2023 / End date: August 31, 2024
WWCC is an equal opportunity employer committed to gender equality and social inclusion in our workplace. All qualified applications will receive consideration without regard to sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, race, ethnic origin, colour, religion, nationality, disability, age, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We encourage applications from Black, Indigenous and racialized community members, 2SLGBTQIA+ community members, people with disabilities, and members of other equity-deserving groups. Please notify us as soon as possible of any adaptive measures you might require at any stage of the recruitment process.
A criminal background check is required prior to commencing.
In your cover letter, please ensure that you explain why you would like to work at Warden Woods Community Centre and why you are qualified for the position as tied to the responsibilities listed above. Please send resume and cover letter with the subject heading: Children’s Program Lead in the subject line, no later than Sept 4, 2023.
While we thank all who apply, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Job Types: Full-time, Fixed term contract
Contract length: 11 months
Salary: $20.88 per hour
- Casual dress
- Company events
- On-site parking
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Scarborough, ON: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (preferred)
Work Location: In person
Application deadline: 2023-09-04
Expected start date: 2023-09-11